Thread: BT TV - Coming soon

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Now this sounds pretty sweet...

April 13 2005
    Announcing a new platform for internet television and video. Anyone can broadcast full-screen video to thousands of people at virtually no cost, using BitTorrent technology. Viewers get intuitive, elegant software to subscribe to channels, watch video, and organize their video library. The project is non-profit, open source, and built on open standards. Today we're announcing the project and releasing our current sourcecode. The software is launching in June.
    http://www.participatoryculture.org/
    DemoTV @ SourceForge
    DemoTV is a TV-like experience for viewing predelivered video on the Internet based on open protocols including RSS, BitTorrent, and HTTP.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    thedazman's Avatar WaReZeR
    sounds interesting - time will tell if it becomes popular

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Ever since i heard about bittorrent I wished they would make a program like this. That is truly what bittorrent is great for. Streaming everything. Thanks for the link.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    while you wait there is already something kinda like this
    http://www.tvtad.com/

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    tvtad does not stream video. It sounds like it's just another form of bittorent client. It automatically DLs the shows you select w/o you clicking and DLing the files, but that seems like all it does.

CoolStreams, though, is another program that seems to be along the lines of the BT TV. It's out of China though, so most programs are in Chinese, but occasionally also in ENglish... good for sports as it has espn, star (has sky programs etc.)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    very nice

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tago Mago's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Once people work out what they want to use this for bittorrent tv could really take off. It needs some content that a lot of folks want to watch en masse.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I wonder how effective it'll be. I haven't seen a p2p video streaming app that hasn't sucked terribly so far. Hopefully this one'll work out.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    anything that uses bittorrent won't be able to "stream" thats not how BT protocol works.
    videos download in the background and the player notifies you when they're ready to watch.
    streamerp2p is able to use peer to peer and it's streamable but it lacks video content though as most streams are audio. jeepers tv used to stream with it.
    Last edited by Vargas; 04-30-2005 at 07:02 PM.