Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we get rid of sig2dat links?

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order

Surprised/Amazed

This post is 50% badly needed discussion, and 50% poll request.

Lets face it. sig2dat is okay as far as linking verifieds goes, but the FastTrack network ain't what it used to be.
    Its got the RIAA sniffing around, the fakes, the virii, and it's a network that offers no built in corruption handling.

Should FST continue to offer sig2dat links in the verifieds sections, or change over to a better/safer/more secure network than FastTrack?
    If the forum was to use/promote one or more official link type(s), what type(s) would you prefer?

sig2dat
    ed2k
    Magnet
    Torrent (if only...)
    Other?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    This post is 50% badly needed discussion, and 50% poll request.

Lets face it. sig2dat is okay as far as linking verifieds goes, but the FastTrack network ain't what it used to be.
    Its got the RIAA sniffing around, the fakes, the virii, and it's a network that offers no built in corruption handling.

Should FST continue to offer sig2dat links in the verifieds sections, or change over to a better/safer/more secure network than FastTrack?
    If the forum was to use/promote one or more official link type(s), what type(s) would you prefer?

sig2dat
    ed2k
    Magnet
    Torrent (if only...)
    Other?
    I can only say what I mentioned before as why disallow them if some still use them even if others dont. As far as I see it we should encourage new types like [arlink] (ares) and generate new board traffic perhaps this way rather than worrying about what not to allow as I dont see any reason to chase any traffic away unless its a real issue like bt is as things like such will eliminate itself in the respect of if its just simply not used at some point...
    Last edited by RealitY; 04-17-2005 at 08:22 AM.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    For some change is hard . I only use ed2k , but a lot of people still have the k-lite flavour of sig2dat. It would be unprofessional of this forum ,to limit what form of links we offer . We're trying to get members not discourage them.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    The fact that the forum offers sig2dat links basically says we as a community use and recommend the fasttrack network.

Is this true? I don't think so.

peat - I think the more members we can get using other apps rather than kazaa, the better it is for P2P as a whole...
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 04-17-2005 at 08:43 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh I know uNz[i], example I just uninstalled K-lite last weekend .My older boy was the only one who used it. He thought it was easier to use, I showed him how to search on limewire pro and emule . Now he's happy but like I said, change is hard .

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Good for you peat. But I'm of the opinion that change isn't hard, it's inevitable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite aware of the big picture, traffic-wise.
    I'm not looking to 'chase traffic away' by offering links to another network.

But just take a look thru the verifieds sections. It's sig2dat as far as the eye can see.
    Thats a bad thing for P2P newcomers - sig2dat encourages the use of kazaa in any form, so the uninitiated are bound to fall for the spyware, viruses and fakes eventually...

So isn't offering links from an unsecured network unprofessional and irresponsible of us?

...and here's another thought:

Perhaps we're unwittingly chasing the experienced P2P traffic away by continuing to offer a majority of sig2dat links?

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    bitzi dropped sig2dat links, even if you submit them with Bitcollider v0.40

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    how about exeem links?
    thier good for community sharing.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by bawa@Klite_user
    how about exeem links?
    thier good for community sharing.
    Exeem is crap and as far as I know those links are the same as bittorrent links.

why should we get rid of hashes? some people still use them and most of the links posted lately are ed2k anyway.

you can post all kinds of verified links as long as they are not DDL's and torrents
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 04-17-2005 at 12:30 PM.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    but then we'd have to use exeem, and thats been shunned by the community, since it was removed from the "Which bittorrent client do you use?" poll (after i voted for it) help i'm being oppressed!
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=91218

EDIT: bit exeem v0.23 is out by the way
    Last edited by Vargas; 04-17-2005 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast