Thread: Media Center 2005 crash!

Novice
    Hey yall,
    my computer is like a month old and my Media Center Crashes at the menu when I highlight "My Pictures" for some reason. I tried googling it but nothing really seems to help. I've had some information saying that it's a problem with Sonic within the Media Center and that I should uninstall it. I don't have sonic in my add/remove and not a folder for it in Program Files. Please help, anymore questions? Just IM me at kursefour20 via AIM or just simply reply here. Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Found a forum with Media centre users :

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/default.aspx

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My only idea is that it could be a corrupt image in the my pictures folder.
    But i've never used media center so it could be some pictures plugin in media center screwing up.

Best bet though is probably to find a media center forum like the one peat moss posted.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    My only idea is that it could be a corrupt image in the my pictures folder.
    But i've never used media center so it could be some pictures plugin in media center screwing up.

Best bet though is probably to find a media center forum like the one peat moss posted.
    Ya Ross , not something I 'v tryed (media centre) but if you try google like I did
    you still have to sort thru the crap. The forums are people like us with the same problems . Very helpful . If that doesn't help kurse, post back or bump this thread .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Novice
    Update: I have found more information about this crash, it seems it crashes everytime I either highlight "My Pictures" or in "My Music" it crashes (not when I highlight it like My Pictures) but when I use click to the right where it shows my albums. I think that goes for "My Video" too but never with "Radio" or anything else.

The crash report gives me this:
    The following files will be included in this error:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\microsoft\ehome\ehshell.crash

C:\WINDOWS\medctroc.log

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\microsoft\ehome\BlackScreen.log

and also....

EventType : MCX P1 : sh.5.1.2700.2180 P2 : HomePage P3 : NullRef

P4 : CPicturesSPExperience_FinishTaskOnBGThread P5 : 125 P6 : Run

P7 : RunTas

What does all this mean?
    Last edited by kurse; 04-19-2005 at 06:13 AM.
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Novice
    UPDATE

Ok, so I am at www.thegreenbutton.com and me and this guy Mudd have been experiencing the same problem but we found out that we were using the same registry cleaner which was CCLEANER. Anyways, once I asked him and found out that we both were using the same one, it was most likely it was that. I uninstalled the program with the backups and he knew that MCE 2005 was working perfectly one night and used CCLEANER that night as well. Next day, crashing. So he restored it and now it seems to be working from what I've heard. BE CAREFUL WITH CCLEANER ON WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER 2005!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the update . Mabye in the future ccleaner will support media centre . What did I tell you about googling the other forums . Glad its fixed. Now you need a good regcleaner , Regcleaner or Regseeker ?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Novice
    Yeah for sure, and keep all the backups I make with that registry cleaner.