Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Software Democracy?

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    what's 14% of 11?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    sorry it was badly worded it is meant to be 14% of all internet explorer holes in the past 2 years not the 11 that are unpatched.

edit: to put it into context firefox has had none that are rated as critical but a few high priority ones.
    you can compair them yourself

http://secunia.com/product/11/#advisories (internet explorer 6.x)
    http://secunia.com/product/4227/ (firefox 1.x)
    Last edited by 4play; 04-22-2005 at 01:46 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Opera with Proxomitron is the Browser Experience for me.
    I got Firefox also and I like it too.
    And Maxthon.

I like to have options.

Its a little about security but more about Blocking Shit out
    while surfing, hence Proxo with Opera.

I use Opera because I like the eMail app innit.
    I got some trouble running Thunderbird and I gave up on it.

The Proxomitron sits between the browsers and Teh Njet, no matter what browser I use,
    Proxomitron will clean up the pages for me.

Is it not hypocritical to use Firefox on a Windows OS?
    You could argue so but I just dont care that much about it.

Spoiler: Show

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I don't think someone has to be anti-MS to use FF.
    Last edited by Busyman; 04-24-2005 at 07:47 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I think someone has to be anti-MS to use FF.

Im not really anti-MS. I still use XP and Office and other stuff.
    I just like Opera or FF more as a browser.

Spoiler: Show

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Many fault MS but I say those same people should have latched on to OS/Warp or BeOS and STFU.

....or migrate to Apple to kick MS in the teeth.

If MS is so bad, where are these innovative operating systems?
    well, actually, OSX is a good operating system. it's technically on par with WinXP as far as convenience, ease-of-use, stability, appearance, etc. but Apple is not really in the business of selling OSX... it's in the business of selling overpriced desktop computers. not so much in competition against MS as against cheap, powerful "IBM clone" hardware. if software were Apple's primary product, they'd dump the overpriced Mac hardware, create an OS for PC, and take their best shot directly at MS. that would be a pretty interesting fight, imho.

as it stands, though, yeah, MS does make the best mainstream-friendly OS for PC. i use Windows, i like Windows, but i'm not gonna put on my fanboy-colored glasses and say "MS has never used unfair or illegal business practices and their #1 position was achieved purely because all of their products are the best things ever invented." 'cause as far as i can tell, that's not true. plenty of their products (besides Windows) have sucked... and gov'ts go after companies like MS because they violate business laws that are on the books, not just because they dislike Bill Gates or dislike IE. i don't think being realistic makes somebody a hater.

nor am i obligated to be an MS-hater just 'cause i acknowledge that MS didn't get where they are by playing fair.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 04-24-2005 at 08:27 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    well, actually, OSX is a good operating system. it's technically on par with WinXP as far as convenience, ease-of-use, stability, appearance, etc. but Apple is not really in the business of selling OSX... it's in the business of selling overpriced desktop computers. not so much in competition against MS as against cheap, powerful "IBM clone" hardware. if software were Apple's primary product, they'd dump the overpriced Mac hardware, create an OS for PC, and take their best shot directly at MS. that would be a pretty interesting fight, imho.

as it stands, though, yeah, MS does make the best mainstream-friendly OS for PC. i use Windows, i like Windows, but i'm not gonna put on my fanboy-colored glasses and say "MS has never used unfair or illegal business practices and their #1 position was achieved purely because all of their products are the best things ever invented." 'cause as far as i can tell, that's not true. plenty of their products (besides Windows) have sucked... and gov'ts go after companies like MS because they violate business laws that are on the books, not just because they dislike Bill Gates or dislike IE. i don't think being realistic makes somebody a hater.

nor am i obligated to be an MS-hater just 'cause i acknowledge that MS didn't get where they are by playing fair.
    I'm no MS by any stretch. If someone comes out with a better OS and it's also viable I'd jump on it in a heartbeat (this similiar to my console gaming outlook).

My point is that folks, especially on here, jumped on this "I hate MS" bandwagon after the US government jumped on Microsoft....due to MS's competitors crying foul. I don't condone their business practices but at the same time MS has not kicked me the consumer in the teeth.

We all sit here on this forum downloading music and movies and say MS sucks when they are one of the main reasons we are able to do it. Netscape had 90% of the browser and now MS has it. Netscape cried foul.

I don't blame Netscape for doing so but at the same time IE became better than Netscape. Now FF seems to be gaining ground.

As a consumer, I have not been harmed. I can't even think of saying that due to a fact that my computer could less buggier or run faster.

I have not been harmed if MS doesn't include a FF bundled with Windows.
    I can download it. If someone has never heard of FF then that's the folks behind FF marketing's fault.

Ya can't faullt MS for not having a customizable to your liking OS.

The EU has mandated that this be the case and now MS offers a strip down Windows.

If I was MS, I'd sell it for the same price.....but I suppose the EU mandated they reduce the price also.

Government oversight at it's greatest.

edit: Apple could probably kick ass if they weren't clinging to their manufacturing their own computers. I remember there being a non-Apple computer with an Apple OS a little while ago.

They haven't learned a thing from MS or McDonald's for that matter.

I remember someone saying MS stole their OS from Apple yet Apple stole theirs from Xerox.
    Last edited by Busyman; 04-24-2005 at 09:09 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i used firefox lastnight

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I don't see any hypocrisy in picking another browser.

I go with what I like, and what works best for me, and that sure as heck isn't IE.
    IE isn't fast enough, or secure enough, or versatile enough, for that matter. It looks rather boring too.

I don't like microsoft, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the US government (I think the us government has done as much for ms as it has done against them), it's to do with them battling piracy, while using vga patents without paying the inventor, and them releasing incomplete operating systems, full of holes and instabilities, while charging too much for the priviliege of using them. And lots of little issues like that.

I do use windows for games and stuff, but when working or surfing casually I like linux just as well. It looks better, and it's more secure, oh yeah, and it can be free too.

(I do have a pro version installed at the moment, but that came with a magazine, which cost a fraction of what windows XP costs)

I have two favourite operating systems at the moment, one is windows 2000 professional, and one is suse, I wouldn't want a machine without both of them installed.

And for the record I reckon the odds of you getting a really bad computer virus are a hell of a lot bigger than you getting killed by an armed burglar.

Granted, the second is worse than the first, but then again you might end up getting accused of having done something you haven't, if a hacker can use your machine. Or, they might get information you don't want them to get.

And that can end up costing you a lot. Which is why it doesn't make sense not defending yourself against it, when it's so incredibly easy to do so. Ffs, even a child can install or use firefox or any other, more secure, browser.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-24-2005 at 02:07 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I just reread my original post...it needs help... Explanation of original post

Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    My original title for this thread was...
    Cause if i used the below one people would go into firefox worship mode - the question about software democracy is simply should not all programs have "equal rights" and that the more the merrier?

Is it not hypocritical to use Firefox on a Windows OS?
    -when Microsoft is the biggest software Monopoly in the World supported by a multitude of copyright laws?

Is it then, not being belittled...
    Belittled as in isnt Firefox being "small minded" when it is infact being run on a monopoly OS?

The opposite OS is of course Linux which is free, open and could be regarded as a truly Democratic OS.
    (sorry... never tried it..)
    They say -it would be easy as a "Terrorist" to not only attack the U.S but the World simply by a script which melts windows on all systems using it

Ohhh the “drama" - live in fear - enjoy

You choose firefox
    Why?
    Cause its dynamic and supposedly more secure.

Security you say...

"Survival of the fittest” should ring a bell
    The best programs will survive the weak ones wont
    - But doesn't that contradict everything we see in ads?
    in the "ads" world it is all about self indulgance for the individual, and in relation to the capitalist system - everyoneone can have it hence - freedom of choice - the contradiction is the capitalist commercial system which in the end narrows down choice of "best software" to temporary trends

The mememememe want factor?
    as in in the democratic capitalist freedom of choice wold everyuthing revolves around ze "me" (yet everyone can be as cool as you if they wear oakley sunglasses)

Should the software world want to be more "secure" - then -
    Is it not best that there are Many different OS's, browser's, programs etc so that it becomes too complex to infiltrate the whole?

It's hopeless, sheep consumer whore society of freedom of choice, where my average friend regards me as a l33t just because i suggested using fx

as in farming, monocrops can be infected easily.

Isn't Life supposed to be Diverse?
    The more diverse choice of programs,os's, browsers etc the more difficult for haxors to infiltrate -

hence diversity is better
    (yet monosystems are easier and more powerful)
    Last edited by 100%; 04-24-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast