Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Software Democracy?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    My original title for this thread was...

Is it not hypocritical to use Firefox on a Windows OS?
    -when Microsoft is the biggest software Monopoly in the World supported by a multitude of copyright laws?

Is it then, not being belittled...

The opposite OS is of course Linux which is free, open and could be regarded as a truly Democratic OS.
    (sorry... never tried it..)

They say -it would be easy as a "Terrorist" to not only attack the U.S but the World simply by a script which melts windows on all systems using it

Ohhh the “drama" - live in fear - enjoy

You choose firefox
    Why?
    Cause its dynamic and supposedly more secure.

Security you say...

"Survival of the fittest” should ring a bell
    - But doesn't that contradict everything we see in ads?

The mememememe want factor?

Should the software world want to be more "secure" - then -
    Is it not best that there are Many different OS's, browser's, programs etc so that it becomes too complex to infiltrate the whole?

It's hopeless, sheep consumer whore society of freedom of choice, where my average friend regards me as a l33t just because i suggested using fx

as in farming, monocrops can be infected easily.

Isn't Life supposed to be Diverse?

posted using:
    Firefox 1.03
    Xp pro
    Dell Laptop
    Google
    drank a beer
    smoked a cig
    avg
    sygate
    heating
    electricity
    philips lightbulb
    wood (table)
    air
    and as to the point of this post
    here it is
    [img].[/img]
    Last edited by 100%; 04-19-2005 at 11:48 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the browser i use (slimbrowser) is as easy to use as MSIE but more features. that's why i use it.

i have the latest version MSIE too. it seems as safe as any incarnation of mozilla

the reason it's like it is, is because it's nature to rebel against what you can't control (i pulled that out of thin air but it sounds good). but also people are lazy and really want as much as they can have. so you can use mozilla because it's an alternative to MSIE. pat yourself on the back for that imaginery poke in the eye to microsoft.

but what possible benefits is there from using linux for anything other than a stable server. microsoft office does anything you want, if you want something ore advanced buy some adobe product incidently built for windows. any games you want to play? linux has no microsoft directx so straight conversions won't happen and no-ones gonna bother developing for the tiny linux market.

so its just easier to use windows.

i suppose it's as hypocritical as the anti globalisation protesters that gathert in london and eat and drink mcdonalds and starbucks. it's there, you want it, and theres no real alternative.

sorry it's past my bedtime

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I use Firefox because it's faster and more stable than IE, I use Vlc because it plays videos better than WMP. My OS is WindowsXP because it's better than the previous versions and I'm a bit bawa about *nix.

I also download all of my software so I don't have to pay for it. Perhaps if I had to pay for this copy of XP that I've just installed, I might have tried some open source soft but in the main, I just use what's better for me.

I do have concerns about MS' monopoly in certain areas and the detrimental effects it could have and does have on software development, and I guess I'm perpetuating that, but the alternative (me having a system totally devoid of MS products) would have a detrimental effect on my job and recreation. As things stand, I wouldn't be able to get on the interweb nor produce an invoice.

So, yes, I think I'm hypocritical, somewhat - but the short term alternative is no income and no posting rubbish on forums.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    ... and no pr0n
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I'm one of few on here that use MSIE with a tabbed interface.

I would hate for there to be multiple OS's in the marketplace. I like a standard.

I also am not on the "I hate MS" wagon.

I had no problem with them before and sure don't have a problem with them because the government said they are harming me. Many point out any problem with Windows and then say, "See, this is why I hate Microsoft."

However fuck MS if they want me to upgrade every 2 years. I upgrade when I feel it's necessary (and that's never when MS deems it so).

Does my OS run fine? Check.
    Does my software run fine? Check.

That's enough for me.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    ps. i cant get embedded movies to play in mozilla

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    ps. i cant get embedded movies to play in mozilla
    But, but, because you should hate MS you are supposed to go through motions of making it work. Yes, that's right uhhuh.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    i did try but it goes through an endless loop of installing quicktime then not detecting it so starting again. the KL codec pack one doesn't get detected either (but it does in slimbrowser.

so now after trying mozilla i have quicktime and realplayer icons playing hungry hungry hippos with my resources.

i do find that official windows media player 9 plays hi-def wmv9 better than media player classic

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    I installed a plug-in that allows me to view a page in IE if I so choose for those few times a page doesn't work in Firefox.

I only use XP because I'm a bit of a gamer, otherwise I'd probably use Linux so I could sneer at all the common people (more).

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Can someone tell me why I should switch to FF?
    (I have already tried it before)

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast