Thread: Armenian Genocide Day - April 24, 1915

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    It's almost April 24, and I thought I'd share this with you guys.

The Armenian Genocide of 1915.

The Armenian genocide was the first genocide of the 20th century, perpetrated by the Ottoman Turkish government against its defenceless and law-abiding citizens, the Armenians, a Christian minority in a Muslim state.

This was a campaign instigated and carried out by a legitimate government against its loyal Christian subjects. It's aim was to loot, destroy and seize Armenian properties and businesses, and the complete annihilation of the Armenians.

For more than a quarter of a century, the Armenians in the Ottoman Empire under the leadership of Sultan Abdul Hamid II and later under the rule of the Ottoman Empire suffered unspeakable abuse, torture, massacres and persecution. This resulted in the rape, murder and deportation of more than 1.5 million Armenians from their historic homeland, and the destruction of a 3000-year-old heritage and rich culture.

In spite of all the evidences and the eye witness accounts recorded during those horrible years by foreigners and survivors of the genocide, until this very day, the Turkish government denies the Armenian Genocide, and refuses to admit the guilt and accept the responsibility.

Every year, on April 24 Armenians all over the world commemorate the murder of their nation. The murder of 1.5 million innocent and defenceless children, women, elderly and men. The 24th of April also the date on which in 1915 the Turkish government arrested over 200 Armenian poets, intellectuals, religious and community leaders in Constantinople and imprisoned them in the interior of Anatolia, where most were summarily executed.

It is said that this genocide greatly inspired Hitler in his attempted extermination of the Jews, Gypsies, and other peoples.

Until this day, the Armenian Genocide is not recognized, and denied by the Turkish government. It was the Armenian Genocide that started the dark chain of genocides.

It is not taught in schools, and is barely in my History class textbook. The unspeakable horror, 1.5 million Armenians, my great-grandfathers and ancestors, abused, murdered, raped. No one bothers to teach it, no textbook has more than 2 paragraphs of information, half the people at my school don't even know about it. 90 years struggling for recognition.

I just thought I'd share this information with you guys, maybe you learned something new.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2

Photo of Central Armenia, Yerevan, selling flowers on Genocide Day, the 24th of April, Armenians commemmorate the Genocide of 1915

Photo of Central Armenia, Yerevan, selling flowers on Genocide Day, the 24th of April, in the background you can see the masses going up to the Genocide monument

Photo of Central Armenia, Yerevan, thousands of flowers around the flame inside the Genocide monument

Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 04-21-2005 at 06:28 AM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    A very informative 5 minute video: http://www.genocide1915.info/
    Click on ABC World News - "The Forgotten Genocide" at the bottom of the page.

Some posters:

Warning!: Photos of Armenian Genocide victims. View them if you wish.
    Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 04-21-2005 at 07:47 AM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I learned something the first time you mentioned this, hope it means something to others this time.

Somehow though, with a former member of the Hitler Youth being made Pope... I think the world is on its last legs now

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I learned something the first time you mentioned this, hope it means something to others this time.

Somehow though, with a former member of the Hitler Youth being made Pope... I think the world is on its last legs now
    I see what you mean RF. There was more fuss about Prince Harry wearing a Nazi uniform to a Fancy dress party that the new Pope being in Hitlers army.
    Over the next few years watch history being rearranged in his favour.

As history stands at the moment he was a member of Hitler Youth. He 'fought' in the Eastern Front' albeit building defences. He deserted from the German Army. If he had been caught he would not be here today. Does not sound much like a 'hardliner' to me.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    RTJ

The subject of the Armenian genocide is taught in Scottish schools as part of the general horror of WW1.

Although Ataturk's government had nothing to do with the slaughter they did try to wipe the stain from the history books (echos of, perhaps, a current dispute in the far east).

A very sad tale and the Armenians still do not have an easy time of things. The conflict with Azerbaijan a pretty much forgotten event on the world stage.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    RTJ

The subject of the Armenian genocide is taught in Scottish schools as part of the general horror of WW1.
    That's good to hear.

For the first time, in 2nd period class on Friday, my teacher read about the Armenian Genocide for about a minute or two, then there was a minute of silence.