Thread: Dual 6800GT's PCI-E

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Some guy on the guru3d forum posted some pics of this that he has rigged up in his comp, And I wondered... WTF is the point of having 2? Does it increase fps to like 600 or what lol
    Last edited by S!X; 04-23-2005 at 07:49 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Increases Yes, but not by much. If your willing to pay another $300 for 10-15 more fps then its the way to go.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz
    Increases Yes, but not by much. If your willing to pay another $300 for 10-15 more fps then its the way to go.
    lol thats pathetic.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Yea but theres people out there, that dont care about price, but about how great there system is.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i was reading pcgamer uk and apparently it's all a bit pointless. the performance increase is about 1.3-1.6. but with anti-aliasing on it drops to 1.1 meaning 30 fps on one card would increase to 33.

i think even with my old rickety 9600pro worth about £80 the only thing i want to improve is AA as most games can be played on highest settings without.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    One opinion.
    I put my money in a non-SLI board figuring that
    A) If I had two slots, I would go crazy till I popped for the second card (which I really can't afford)
    B) The upcoming 512 MB cards should kick ass anyway...do I really need two of them?
    It seems that there a lot of BIOS revisions that deal with SLI related issues...could be that the application is still being worked out and I don't feel like being nVidia's guinea pig right now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    One opinion.
    I put my money in a non-SLI board figuring that
    A) If I had two slots, I would go crazy till I popped for the second card (which I really can't afford)
    B) The upcoming 512 MB cards should kick ass anyway...do I really need two of them?
    It seems that there a lot of BIOS revisions that deal with SLI related issues...could be that the application is still being worked out and I don't feel like being nVidia's guinea pig right now.
    they advise against A) because theres little chance of getting the exact same card, bios and all months after you order the first

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    they advise against A) because theres little chance of getting the exact same card, bios and all months after you order the first
    Who is "they"?
    The ability to add a card at a later dater date is one of the biggest selling points of SLI...it makes the upgrade to the 939 platform a bit easier to swallow if you needn't bite the whole graphics package at one time.

The two customers of mine who went the full enchilada are reporting mixed results.
    The guy who bought the twin 6600GT's is very happy.
    The one who bought the two 6800 Ultras, less so.
    Not sure why.

Personally, I think that SLI is an interesting experiment, but probably not going to survive for too long.
    By the time that real world games can exploit the technology I hope there is a better solution than two video cards available.
    If nothing else, running two 6800 Ultras creates a real heat problem and it's not so easy to fix.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    they = pc gamer

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ah so.
    I guess we'll need to buy matched sets of video cards now, kinda like RAM.

Even now, when I order two identical cards there is no guarantee that they will be the same shipping BIOS or revision, but we'll see what happens.