Thread: wireless router help

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    any1 got any good links for an idiots guide to routers? since getting mine I get low id on emule and azureas seems to get a bit od download for a few secs then drops to nothing again even though theres souces to download from any links to plain englsh appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Formula1's Avatar Poster

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It would help if you provided us with what model your router is.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    sorry m8 maybe this should help https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=94218 I'm just trying how to understand which off my firewalls Im dealing with here either the one built into the router or zone alarm but I have little or no info on what my built in router firewall is actually preventing.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I think I have this sorted cos Ive got my high id back just 1 thing Im not sure of when I switch to dns mode to open my port on the router it defaults to port 53 which ive changed to the udp and tcp ports for emule 4662/4672 but should I be changing both the external and internal ports?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Emule (and other software) will advertise the ports they use since they are (usually) the only ones they know about. So if the internal and external ports on your router are different, how can anyone trying to connect to you possibly know that? Keep them matched up.

The only time changing port numbers in the router is useful is where the external port is a "well known port" (in other words it doesn't need to be advertised) but you want your software to use a different port, or if you actually tell people not to use the "well known port" but you can't/don't want to change the software.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I was just wondering because azureas advises in certain situations changing your port from 1661 to 11661 in case your isp limits your connection on that port because its a well known filesharing port but I'm not sure if that would interfere ppl who have done that if I dont forward that port maybe I'm thinking too much

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you change the port your software is using then you have to change the ports you are forwarding as well. They've all got to match up.

Edit: "Well known ports" doesn't mean that a lot of people know about them, it means that they are "standard" (although there aren't any actual standards).
    So although a lot of people may know that Bittorrent usually uses ports 6881-6889, those aren't "well known ports" in terms of tcp port usage.
    Last edited by lynx; 04-27-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.