Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft And Riaa

merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    [QUOTE]WMP in the future (When?) will be checking for hidden authorization codes in downloaded music. They plan on enforcing their own version of copy control. RIAA and M'soft have gotten together and you will not be able to play whatever you happen to have.

If Msoft is planning to do this i'm dumping my wmp.Would'nt this be considered a privacy issue.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    There is already some mp3 files which require a licence to copy to disc. This means they will play in WMP9 but I can't burn them to CD. In the rare occasions when this happens, just search for another copy of the file. B)
    Proud member of MDS

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    how will m$ be able to prevent the playing of divx, xvid and ogg?

the answer is thery can't.

and who uses wmp for mp3

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    [QUOTE=merlin-1,7 April 2003 - 08:12]
    WMP in the future (When?) will be checking for hidden authorization codes in downloaded music. They plan on enforcing their own version of copy control. RIAA and M'soft have gotten together and you will not be able to play whatever you happen to have.

If Msoft is planning to do this i'm dumping my wmp.Would'nt this be considered a privacy issue.
    I would consider it a privacy issue. I really dont think it would be in their interest to do this however. Its NOT illegal to download copyrited material for your personal use, only when you upload it, or "otherwise distribute" it, does it become illegal.

My feeling is that once the material is on your computer.. its your business, and any effort to control it after that point would be privacy invasion.

Just my opinion.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    [QUOTE]My feeling is that once the material is on your computer.. its your business, and any effort to control it after that point would be privacy invasion.

Just my opinion.

Same here!Whats on my computer is my buisness.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Windows Media Player has been doing this for WMA and WMV files since version 7.0

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Switeck@8 April 2003 - 11:29
    Windows Media Player has been doing this for WMA and WMV files since version 7.0
    I read a post in the forum some time ago that linked it to an article.. in essence, that M$ was in the process of developing a file-sharing app that they planned to incorporate in a future version of Windows.. this was NOT an "anti-filesharing" app, I cant find the original post, but I was wondering if you heard anything about this.. I guess they figured they could cash in on the market..regardless of the RIAA/MPAA campaign.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    i use media p[layer for everything
    even though i could get alternatives

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by solidsnake@8 April 2003 - 12:11
    i use media p[layer for everything
    even though i could get alternatives
    I still use it also.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Ok.. I found the post that I was referring to.
    and here's the article

I also seem to remember a few years back when M$ incorporated the use of UGI's (unique global identifiers) into one of their O/S's software, and when it was discovered that a user could be "tracked" with it.. they were FORCED to come up with a way to disable it.. people refused to buy it. I guess people just don't like to be "spied" on.

Edit: corrected url

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast