Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PC in the works

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    This is my first PC build, and I'm a little worried I'm forgetting something, before I start up the first time...

Alright, got all my parts now except my fancy PSU that will be here tomorrow, but I have the 400W PowMax that came with the case that I can use for now...

Ok,

ASUS A8V-Deluxe K8T800Pro - Installed
    Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Core - Installed
    ThermalRight XP-90 /w Artic Silver thermal paste and Fan - Installed
    SeaGate 200GB 7200.7 SATA - Installed
    Lite-On 16x DL Burner - Installed
    XFX GForce 6600GT - Installed
    1.5GB Corsair PC3200 - Installed
    2 Chassis Fans - Installed
    No Rear Fans just yet...

Connected LED's, PowerSW, ResetSW, Front Panel USB and Front Panel Audio devices.
    Ziplined all the cords. (I'm anal about wiring and AirFlow... )

Have I forgotten anything???
    (aside from a monitor)
    Last edited by Damnatory; 04-27-2005 at 07:21 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nice one m8.......know any guides on building as i am lookin to build one in the summer?

BTW how much did that set up costya if you dont mind cos i could do with that set up......... plus any component sites too lol.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by goucho
    Nice one m8.......know any guides on building as i am lookin to build one in the summer?

BTW how much did that set up costya if you dont mind cos i could do with that set up......... plus any component sites too lol.
    um... Tom's Hardware has some really good graphical step by step guides. Here's one I read a while back. Link As for component sites, I use NewEgg. Whole setup was like $900 simply because I didn't want to share components with my other computers, so I got everything new...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I figured I'd just fire it up and see what happens, but I hit a bit of a snag...

My LCD monitor came with a VGA connector, but the monitor has DVI ports, so I bought a DVI connector. The DVI port is on an unistalled graphics card, so it won't detect the signal.

Now is the weirdest thing, the mobo's integrated VGA port is a female end, and the VGA connector is female on both ends... Aren't the ports on the mobo normally male???

Is there such a thing as a male to male VGA adapter I can go buy to use until I get the graphics card installed? Or maybe a cord with a male and female end?

Edit: Just noticed... This Mobo doesn't even have a VGA port... It's got a 9 pin serial port, and the cord is a 15 pin VGA plug...
    So I suppose the new question is, "is there such a thing as a 15pin male to 9pin male adapter??? "

When I try to boot there is no signal to the monitor (DVI cable ), could there be another reason for this, or is the video card like I'm assuming?
    Last edited by Damnatory; 04-27-2005 at 10:10 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    My LCD monitor came with a VGA connector, but the monitor has DVI ports, so I bought a DVI connector. The DVI port is on an unistalled graphics card, so it won't detect the signal.

What's got what? This doesn't even begin to make sense.
    Edit: Just noticed... This Mobo doesn't even have a VGA port... It's got a 9 pin serial port, and the cord is a 15 pin VGA plug...
    So I suppose the new question is, "is there such a thing as a 15pin male to 9pin male adapter??? "
    Even if you find some sort of adapter like this, don't even THINK of connecting your monitor to it. Like you said, it is a serial port not a VGA port. Your mobo doesn't have an onboard graphics chip, so how could it have a graphics port?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You need to use the DVI to VGA adapter.

It should be supplied with the XFX card. Check it box it came in.

Monitor support

- Dual DVI-Out digital output (for attaching LCD Monitors)
    - DVI to VGA adapters included (for attaching analog CRT monitors)
    Source: http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT43AND

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    What's got what? This doesn't even begin to make sense.
    Sorry Lynx, it was late and I was getting rather frustrated, as well as desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    You need to use the DVI to VGA adapter.
    Yeah I have 2 of them... but they don't fit anything. Both the VGA and DVI cord are female on both ends, and the DVI to VGA adapers are famale on both ends.

I'm thinking that there must some reason other than the card isn't installed that I can't receive a signal to the monitor. If there is no onboard graphics card, than it should detect the installed card...?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sorry Lynx, it was late and I was getting rather frustrated, as well as desperate.

Yeah I have 2 of them... but they don't fit anything. Both the VGA and DVI cord are female on both ends, and the DVI to VGA adapers are famale on both ends.

I'm thinking that there must some reason other than the card isn't installed that I can't receive a signal to the monitor. If there is no onboard graphics card, than it should detect the installed card...?
    You don't make sense.

On one hand you say that you cannot connect the monitor because the adaptor doesn't fit. On the other hand you say that you don't understand why the monitor doesn't receive a signal.

So what is it? Is the monitor connected or not?
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 04-27-2005 at 09:37 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    So what is it? Is the monitor connected or not?
    See I tried to explain it in that long confusing post but it was late and it doensn't make alot of sense... Sorry...

I can connect the monitor to the card with a DVI cord, but it doesn't receive a signal. Thats why I went looking for another way.
    Last edited by Damnatory; 04-27-2005 at 09:35 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Btw. The adaptor should look like this:

The wide DVI connector connects to the graphics card and the narrow VGA is where your monitor plugs in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast