Thread: help, dead router

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i tried to do a firmware update on my router and its not conecting now

its a netgear wgt624 the power light comes on, then slowy changes between green and orange, and i cant ping it. is there anything i can do,

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Did you get the right version (v1 firmware will screw up a v2 router and vice-versa).

Does it have a pinhole in the back, usually for reset to factory defaults, or something like that? It may help.

If not, you are probably going to be looking for a bin.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Warranty?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    yeah, mines a v2, i updated it through the router, it has a page on the web config to check for a new version and update to it.

just been on phone to the tech support for 41 minutes!!!!! getting it replaced, waiting on an email with prepaid label to send it back.
    luckily i used http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php to get there landline number. or it would have cost a fortune.

edit: also tried resetting it as you say lynx, hold it in for about 10 seconds. didnt work, also tried a recovery tool for another netgear router, but that didnt work either.
    Last edited by Livy; 04-27-2005 at 06:48 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    yeh there really is not a lot to a personal router. i mean they're not very complex at all. if it can't be fixed by pressing the reset button, disconnecting it from the power for a while, or updating the firmware... then it prolly needs to be replaced.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i was thinking about replacing it with a linux box, with printer attached and network storage, may look into it.
    as all that we have is wireless laptops.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I really hope you didn't update the firmware using a wireless connection. If you did, that is why it doesn't work. In my manual for my D-Link router, it says to use a Hard Wired connection when you update the firmware because something could go wrong when doing it over a wireless connection.