Thread: Hong Kong shows the UK the broadband way

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    As the UK gears up for widespread 8Mbps broadband services, spare a thought for the hard done by denizens of Hong Kong.
    Hong Kong Broadband Network has launched a symmetric 1Gbps service for a wholly reasonable $215 (about £112) per month.

The company already offers symmetric 100Mbps and 10Mbps services at $34 (£18) and $16 (£8) respectively.

It is also deploying new hardware that will enable the convergence of voice, data and TV services; it will be able to deliver up to 200 pay-TV channels at MPEG-2 DVD quality.

Source: PCPro

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    And I'm paying $49/month for dialup speeds that are supposed to be 4mbps in the United States, damn! I’m living in the wrong country.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    £8 for a 10Mbps symmetric service.
    i'm payng more that that for fucking Dial-up cos BT haven't upgraded my exchange
    DAMN BT
    Last edited by ObiWan; 04-27-2005 at 08:36 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Hello!

Yes the speeds are fantastic in Hong Kong but remember it is a very small country with virtually all its citizens packed in one city so it is easy to build fast networks there. Therefore it will take much longer to deliver those speeds at reasonable costs in EU especially in the UK that are far behind most other western and northern European countrys like germany or Sweden (especially Sweden where I live) in IT infrastructure.

But this topic has already been up in this thread:

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t90964-.html

Sincerely Joakim Agren!