Thread: *.wmv files DRM content etc

Hi,

I have quite a few win media files, which when I try to play them, a screen comes up saying I need to upgrade my DRM settings. "learn more" from microsoft says this

"Owners of secure content may also require you to upgrade some of the DRM components on your computer before accessing their content. When you attempt to play such content, Windows Media Player will notify you that a DRM Upgrade is required and then ask for your consent before the DRM Upgrade is downloaded (third party playback software may do the same). If you decline the upgrade, you will not be able to access content that requires the DRM Upgrade; however, you will still be able to access unprotected content and secure content that does not require the upgrade. If you accept the upgrade, Windows Media Player will connect to an Internet site operated by Microsoft and will send a unique identifier along with a Windows Media Player security file. This unique identifier does not contain any personal identifiable information. Microsoft will then replace the security file with a customized version of the file that contains your unique identifier. This increases the level of protection provided by DRM."

I'm afraid this is clear as mud to me. So can you help me here, I am just about to delete all the wmv files I have (because I can't play them) but before I do I thought I'd come here to ask:

1. What exactly occurs if I follow the instructions and upgrade my DRM settings?

2. I want privacy, so I don't want to do anything which gives away my privacy. Is there any loss of privacy?

3. Can we trust microsoft to tell the truth about privacy?

4. Is this a new feature of Windows media player? I remember upgrading "security patches for windows media player" and I wonder if an older version of windows media player would just play the files without question. I am wondering if those security patches were just microsoft lying to me to make me upgrade windows media player so that this DRM content stuff would start asking for permission.

5. I nearly forgot, is there any other way to play these files (with other software) which will avoid this hassle.

Thanks
    Last edited by wiggle; 05-03-2005 at 02:27 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    well when you need to aquire a license to play a protected file, it sends your IP, your personal license id and the filename youre trying to play.
    i would add wmv to your search filters, and delete the ones you have that are DRMed and look for unprotected versions.

about the only way to remove DRM and/or play it without DRM, is to aquire the license, then record the analog stream while playing it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    OK thanks. Something else confuses me, is what's the point?

If it is free to access the licence to view, and microsoft records your IP address. What is the point? they might aswell not bother with DRM, because, they get no benefit from this DRM stuff.

Or maybe they are not free. I let one of the wmv files access the inrternet and it aske for an SMS message to pay to view the file. But this was not one of the files which gave the DRM message there seems to be two types:

the DRM type
    & the ones which just go straight to a website.
    Last edited by wiggle; 05-03-2005 at 03:04 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I just deleted all of them, what a waste of time downloading them! I did eventually stop downloading them when I saw them. The problem was that some (very few) were viewable so I got them just to see if I could view them.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    some are free to view "so many times" or for a certain "number of days"
    others are "pay to view"
    there are different versions of DRM, thats why on some you need to "upgrade" your DRM since you appearently don't have the "newest version"

some spammers create websites that try to install viruses and trojans, then spam the networks with wmv files that redirect the user to their "traps"

it's sad really, as i have created a few WMV files myself that aren't protected, and don't redirect users to a website. But now i recommend users to filter them and all other wmv files. the number of bad wmv and wma files now outnumber the good ones by a landslide
    Last edited by Vargas; 05-03-2005 at 03:25 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Fisk
    Is there any way to get rid of those DRM protection thingie? I'm kinda annoyed that I can't play a few WMAs I've downloaded that only worked a for one single day
    [Insert pesky signature here]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rzf
    Is there any way to get rid of those DRM protection thingie? I'm kinda annoyed that I can't play a few WMAs I've downloaded that only worked a for one single day
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    well about the only way to remove DRM and/or play it without DRM, is to aquire the license, then record the analog stream while playing it.
    ------------

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Fisk
    well about the only way to remove DRM and/or play it without DRM, is to aquire the license, then record the analog stream while playing it.
    ------------
    Analog? Me not likey... that would make it... legal

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Fisk
    The link you providede doesn't seem to work