Thread: mirc downloading question

I recntly tried MIRC to try and download stuff. I remembered there was a an easy guide on here for mirc and followed it.

problem, on ircspy, say for example, userxxx [e.g. userxxx on #tvworld] has the file, there are 1 of 2 slots available and no queues. i click on tha packet number that opens mirc, i join the channel etc, and then i paste the commend in mirc.

but nothing happens. i look on the right, to see if userxxx is on the member list, and he isnt. but in ircspy, i've already ticked do not display offline bots

does this mean i gotta wait until he comes online? i set my dcc options to auto download, but as i'e never done this before, i dont nkow if it'll work.

am i confusing myself???....in that userxxx is not really a member, but is a bot.....so it dont matter if userxxx is on the list in mirc?

what is a bot?

please help me, i'm somewhat confused.
    ta

p.s. what are all these beeps i'm hearing when on mirc????
    Last edited by jabby85; 05-03-2005 at 09:03 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    yes, user x IS a an xdcc bot.

And though you tell ircspy NOT to show offline bots sometimes the update rate isn't so fast and the tracker is not aware that a bot has gone offline. Nothing to worry about, you can hang around in that channel a few and see if the bot returns, or you can try another server/channel where the file was available from.
    Be sure to look at how long ago irc was updated with the information by a particular source. Also, because of delayed updates, slot availability will not be accurate. You can only verify that for yourself, once you get there.

another reason for not getting the file, is that sometimes, a different bot will take over, and be carying many of the same files, so, you can always read what's being offered in that channel and by whom.
    Last edited by SideSwiped; 05-03-2005 at 11:58 PM.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    thanks for your reply. I need to get familiar with the layout of mirc, all the different colors flashing at me and this and that is mind boggling!

may i ask, how can i check what's being offered in a channel and by whom??? is there a different command or button i should click on?

thanks

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    first hint when you join a channel read the topic at the TOP....A few seconds of reading will prevent a kick...In the network window of mirc (not the channel window) type "/list" this will give you a listing of the channels on this network..you can double click on the channel you want to join...(another method is to type"/join #......."....is the channel name.Many large specialty channels(hmmmm you know what i mean) have a chat channel join them and ask questions...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I think its about time I checked out mirc

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    bot is short for a robot

to change sound settings go to options> sounds and play a bit with the options

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I tried using the pinned guide but had a few probs I'll investigate a bit more 2day

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    You could try XDCC from IRCSpy.com
    and it just an easy solution to not having
    to do all the stuff you have to do to get
    IRC to work for you.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaAnswer
    You could try XDCC from IRCSpy.com
    and it just an easy solution to not having
    to do all the stuff you have to do to get
    IRC to work for you.
    I would assume you mean autoXDCC from IRCspy?
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif