Thread: bittorrent client for Mac OS 10?

My friend wants to start using bittorrent. I recommended Azureus b/c it's what I use, but the new version has a download for OSX, not 10. Will it work? Which version of Java does he need... Solaris?

If Azureus won't work for Mac OS10, is there another client that will work? Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    http://download2.bittornado.com/down...-0.3.12.tar.gz
    just download the source code for bittorando and make sure you have python and wxpython installed.

sorry dont know how to do that on mac as i have never used one.

if you really want to run azerus according to the apple site mac osx comes complete with the sun jdk so have alook around the install cds for it maybe.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i thought that OSX was OS10

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by mr00420
    My friend wants to start using bittorrent. I recommended Azureus b/c it's what I use, but the new version has a download for OSX, not 10. Will it work? Which version of Java does he need... Solaris?

If Azureus won't work for Mac OS10, is there another client that will work? Thanks.
    Hello!

Roman numbers!

X=10

So basically OSX is pronounced "Mac OS Ten" and therefore Azureus will work and is the recommended client for Mac OSX!.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    OK, I'm not a Mac wanker, so now I asume the X-box is a 10-box?
    Anyway, I now understand that he should be able to use azureus.... but what version of Java does he need? Th elist windows, linux, and a couple of Solaris versions. Which does he need (I assume NOT windows) and which version? THis is completely unclear on the azureus website
    Thanks

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    im using bitTorrent OS X from official bit torrent site. im happy with that. never had to think about java. just dl app and start.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    My friend was able to figure it out w/ azureus.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    i have osx and i didn't need to install anything to get the java bt client above to work apart from the app its self. Anyway i wanted to know if anybody knows of a better app than azureus because it eats up memory and is slowing my ibook right down .

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    rguinn's Avatar chemist
    Transmission is the client that I'm currently using. It gets updated frequently and doesn't kill the resources.

tomato torrent is another solid client.

My favorite client for a long time was BitsOnWheels but unfortunately it is rarely updated. still worth checking out, though.

torrentstation is a newer app. haven't checked it out much. yes, there's a link but they expect money. charging money for a bittorrent client is like charging money for limewire. check demonoid for a cracked version.

oh and I almost forgot... BitSticks if you want a bittorrent widget. very simple and clean.
    Last edited by rguinn; 04-27-2006 at 07:20 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    i think Azurues have a universal binary now.. anyway.. works fine for me