Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: job core

http://jobcorps.doleta.gov/about.cfm
    Has any one been in a similar program?I'm gonna turn 16 soon and I'm thinking about joining because i dont think regular education is helping.Its in Utah

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Retired
    Pikachu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

job core would be good for you
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 05-11-2005 at 03:24 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    ya it's a good program i did it in vermont to help in the certain job feilds that i wanted experience in ..what u goin for??

4. Lounge   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Why don't you think regular education is helping? and what makes you think this would be any better at this stage of your education? You only get out what you put in.

Personally I would finish high school first then if this is one of your options consider it then..... But you need to do the work in high school. You are at the age where educators treat you more as adult than child.... and adults have to look after themselves.
    My 17 year old is doing well at school but we have to keep on his case or he would slip. He sees any of his failings as his teachers fault..... he can't see that it is his failing.

I will say that at least you are thinking ahead. You obviously want to succeed but I feel you lack a goal.

School may seem futile, it may seem that you are learning things that are irrelavant...many of them are... but you need to stay focused on the end result and what you are wanting to do with your life. Aim high and realise that although it won't be easy you can achieve your desires. Accept that you can just "make do" and you will stagnate.

You seem to be a vibrant outgoing person from your posts....... you are at the stage in your life where the world is open..... try not to waste it.

I wish you every success on your journey

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Thanks vidcc.I'm already sure the normal school program is not working for me no matter how much work i put in.If i want to graduate i think this is my last hope because I'm already so far behind in school that they will not have time to review the past 5 years of school with me.I've already tried explaining to them that its not good teaching me calculus when i dont know multiplication,know what i mean.
    Last edited by ziggyjuarez; 05-11-2005 at 03:49 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bujub22
    ya it's a good program i did it in vermont to help in the certain job feilds that i wanted experience in ..what u goin for??
    I dont know at the moment but i think most likely physical work rather then brain power work.How much money allowance do you get at this program?

7. Lounge   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    You only get out what you put in.
    yes and no vid
    I live in the same area ziggy does
    I know what the schools are like here

8. Lounge   -   #8
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez
    I dont know at the moment but i think most likely physical work rather then brain power work.How much money allowance do you get at this program?
    depends what feilds u look into and how hard u work
    they can tell the ones that want a education and ones that come there for a quick buck becuz u get paid to learn many kids take advantage of this and some just basically abuse this ..if your looking for physical labor experience
    i would say go for weilding or some type of managing and business classes they really come in handy if u feel working for someone else is not your thing!
    it's a lil harder but the work pays off in the long run

9. Lounge   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by FKDUP74
    yes and no vid
    I live in the same area ziggy does
    I know what the schools are like here
    I have commented on school standards before, I believe we need to get our act together and improve standards instead of the dumbing down that some are advocating right now. However schools in places like Bangladesh are achieving high results with far less resources than we enjoy and to a large degree it has to do with attitude.
    I don't make my comments about pupils putting in the work lightly, I have had many conversations with my sons friends about their school failures and I have yet to see an instance where the teacher was at fault for their grade. They are not failing to understand the subjects...they are failing to do the work.

From what Ziggy said he needs extra help and he needs to seek that help and not take no for an answer. It is sad that in America finding that extra help isn't easy and isn't always free of charge.... but he has the books...he has the Internet... he has libraries.... everything is there if he chooses to put the effort in. He needs to focus on his own life and avoid distractions. I know none of this is easy, but what in life is?

I don't know what his home situation is but I do often see lack of parental interest in children's education. My view is that teachers are there to teach the subjects and not to raise and discipline the students. I believe that parents should be making sure their children do the assignments and should be helping wherever possible when the child doesn't understand something. My son doesn't appreciate us being on his case now............ but perhaps in ten years he will understand why we do it.

He is looking at different approaches so we know he has his head screwed on and is thinking in the right direction, I just think that finishing high school first would help him in the long run.

of course the job corps might just be the best way to increase his chances because of his own personal circumstances if his situation is a genuine hindrance.

sorry for the essay

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If you have really lost hope with the education you are getting at the moment, then this looks like a good alternative. Taking you away from your present environment, which is not working academically, maybe just what you need.
    If I was in your situation I would go for it. It looks as if you will end up with a trade and a years financial help to get you on your feet when you have completed the course.
    It will also let you mix with different people from all over the USA which could benefit you in later life. Best of luck if you decide to go for it.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast