Thread: $150m fine for filesharing

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I saw this on the front page of our local paper today http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/new....asp?id=209133
    what a bummer.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    there isn't a $150million fine, it's just a $150million extortion attempt
    it hasn't even gone to court.
    "sued for", and "fined" are 2 different things.
    Last edited by Vargas; 05-12-2005 at 08:30 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Sorry for not using a ! after my post title I never started the post with a man was fined $150m for filesharing I was just bringing the boards attention to something that happened in my home town as I thought it might be of interest to some1 Nor am I scare mongering about filesharing I couldn't give a shit even if he gets jailed I'll still do it but thanks for the legal advice I suppose any reply even if very negative is better than none

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    i didn't mean to be so negative, it's just that all the time i read about the RIAA lawsuits, and they all settled out of court, none of them were officially fined. i wasn't pissed at you, i was pissed off at all the extortion attempts these lawsuits really are.
    Mr Hawthorn, 46, of Main Street, Egremont, says he is being sued for $150million – but has been offered the chance to settle out of court for $7million.

Mr Hawthorn continued: “We were told to ignore it because they can’t do anything. According to our lawyer we have not done anything illegal. Now we are just going to see what happens.
    Last edited by Vargas; 05-12-2005 at 11:29 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Ok brother I see where your coming from I don't keep up with the goings on of this sort of stuff so I just thought it was worth a mention, its just the first time I've actually knew some1 who's been in this situation rather than in the media. I've advised him to ask the court if he can pay in £5 a week instalments.
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 05-13-2005 at 08:24 PM.