Thread: Adaware>adwatch

Simple question is it ok to delete this.

I know Cydoor is mentioned here but it's the sychost.exe line i'm not sure about

What you think,i dont want to bugger my pc up

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I know I always have those svhosts running, not infected though. I dont think its safe to delete (I don';t know for sure) but see if it can be cleaned first. I don;t have ad-watch so I don't really know how it works.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Schuler@8 April 2003 - 11:23
    I know I always have those svhosts running, not infected though. I dont think its safe to delete (I don';t know for sure) but see if it can be cleaned first. I don;t have ad-watch so I don't really know how it works.
    Ok i'll leave it for now untill maybe someone tells me otherwise.

I have seen somewhere that there's two very similer looking svhosts one's a virus,the other's to do with windows,perfectly ok.

Im just a bit confused here with this one

Anyone?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Svchost.exe (Windows NT/2000/XP) is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. In this case it should be okay to remove that particular file since it's running alone.

Does Adwatch not have a backup function? If so, back up then remove, shouldn't have any issues since you will be removing the cydoor service and not svchost.exe.

More info (XP): Svchost.exe
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by CornerPocket@8 April 2003 - 13:09
    Svchost.exe (Windows NT/2000/XP) is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. In this case it should be okay to remove that particular file since it's running alone.

Does Adwatch not have a backup function? If so, back up then remove, shouldn't have any issues since you will be removing the cydoor service and not svchost.exe.

More info (XP): Svchost.exe
    thats what i was gonna say.
    svchost is the name for windows services, so cydoor is loaded up with services, i would think it would be safe to delete, but any ad supported software may not work, not to sure though.