Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Utd v Glazer Rumour

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Wtf? Doesn't Glazer own Tampa Buccaneers?

I thought the NFL frowned on cross team ownership.

I'll have ta google dees one.

edit:confirmed
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-17-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Wtf? Doesn't Glazer own Tampa Buccaneers?

I thought the NFL frowned on cross team ownership.

I'll have ta google dees one.

edit:confirmed
    Presumably they wouldn't frown upon owning another team in a completely unrelated sport.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Presumably they wouldn't frown upon owning another team in a completely unrelated sport.
    Yes they do.

It's weird though that I read that people mainly are talking about not buying season tickets just because...he's American.

They fear he'll run the team into the ground.

Why not "wait and see"?

The Bucs did win the Super Bowl in 2002.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    There was some talk about this yesterday on on espn's website, but unfortunately I cannot find the link. I know the league was going to discuss this at any rate.
    Well, atleast I know I won't have to worry about him moving the Buccaneers anytime soon, he's going to be busy elsewhere
    Last edited by RPerry; 05-17-2005 at 04:20 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Yes they do.

It's weird though that I read that people mainly are talking about not buying season tickets just because...he's American.

They fear he'll run the team into the ground.

Why not "wait and see"?

The Bucs did win the Super Bowl in 2002.
    Weird shit. Why are they bothered?

There are a lot of people being stupid about things and citing his nationality as why it's a bad thing but ultimately that's not the reason it's a bad thing.

Tampa were a team down on their luck and without much tradition, they needed someone to sort them out. Manchester United are were the richest Football team (maybe sports team) in the world - who now suddenly find themselves almost half a billion pounds in debt (that's $918,950,000 US).

No so much wait and see, it's what's already happened
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    Weird shit. Why are they bothered?

There are a lot of people being stupid about things and citing his nationality as why it's a bad thing but ultimately that's not the reason it's a bad thing.

Tampa were a team down on their luck and without much tradition, they needed someone to sort them out. Manchester United are were the richest Football team (maybe sports team) in the world - who now suddenly find themselves almost half a billion pounds in debt (that's $918,950,000 US).

No so much wait and see, it's what's already happened
    Well, if its any help, I'll be the first to praise Malcom Glazer as an owner. I have been a Tampa Bay fan since I was old enough to watch NFL Football, and can tell you he has done alot for the city of Tampa. The staium that was built for the Bucs is unbelievable, and though the last 2 years they have been on a downward slide, understand the core of the championship team of 2002 was geting old, and if not for the championship, they would have been broken up a year sooner.
    I have no idea what his reasons are for getting involved with a team outside the country, but I hope it works out for the best

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    There was some talk about this yesterday on on espn's website, but unfortunately I cannot find the link. I know the league was going to discuss this at any rate.
    Well, atleast I know I won't have to worry about him moving the Buccaneers anytime soon, he's going to be busy elsewhere
    I'd be quite interested to read that if you see any more stuff on it.

I'm wondering if he's not going to let his sons do most of the stuff over here - they are the life long Man Utd fans () and he is almost eighty.

By the way, how about a discussion on the odd American tradition of hawking clubs around the country in the pursuit of $$$

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    By the way, how about a discussion on the odd American tradition of hawking clubs around the country in the pursuit of $$$
    Thats a terrible "tradition" and I want no part of it

I was sick to my stomach when the news first started about the moving of the Bucs, and I think it was more or less a deal with if Glazer could have bought the Anehiem/California/Los Angeles Angels

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    I'd be quite interested to read that if you see any more stuff on it.

I'm wondering if he's not going to let his sons do most of the stuff over here - they are the life long Man Utd fans () and he is almost eighty.
    Here is what I found:

LONDON (AP) - Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer took complete control of Manchester United on Monday by increasing his stake in the world's richest soccer club to more than 75 percent.

Glazer bought more shares to take his ownership level to 75.70 percent by the end of Monday's trading, Glazer's Red Football Ltd. said in a statement to the London Stock Exchange.

With 75 percent, Glazer can place his personal debt on United's books and take the club off the stock exchange and into private ownership. Manchester United has been listed on the stock exchange since 1991.

The NFL, which usually frowns upon cross-ownership, isn't sure if its rules would prevent Glazer from owning a foreign club. The league's finance committee will discuss it during spring meetings in Washington next week.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3616476

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    Well, if its any help, I'll be the first to praise Malcom Glazer as an owner. I have been a Tampa Bay fan since I was old enough to watch NFL Football, and can tell you he has done alot for the city of Tampa. The staium that was built for the Bucs is unbelievable, and though the last 2 years they have been on a downward slide, understand the core of the championship team of 2002 was geting old, and if not for the championship, they would have been broken up a year sooner.
    I have no idea what his reasons are for getting involved with a team outside the country, but I hope it works out for the best
    I've read a lot about what he's done for Tampa and it's commendable for sure. However, this is a totally different kettle of fish.

I've studied his proposal and can't figure for the life of me how he expects to make any money. Certainly with the cost of servicing the debt, the current level of profit/success won't be sufficient. He must be planning something else to increase profits.

While the Man. Utd. Board were idiots in this fiasco, they certainly knew how to exploit the global football market. The finances of the club were extremely well managed, any opportunites for making a quid or two were seized upon.

If this something else exists then I doubt the current board would have missed out on this opportunity. Glazer proponants are harking toward exploiting the US Soccer market - however, we've been doing that for years but you lot don't like watching Soccer. Just because there is an American at the helm, won't make a game that frequently finishes scoreless more attractive. It's a culture thing.

Glazer has tied himself inextricably to the club's finances, if the club makes no extra money, he's on a loser. Therefore he has to come up with a way to make the most financially proficient Soccer club in the world more financially proficient. I'm sorry but in a world that he's not sure of and people are mistrustful of him, it's not likely to happen.

If the club doesn't increase it's profitability then the budget to buy new players will decrease, the success will decline and, ultimately, Glazer may find himself in a position where he has to sell the clubs assets (players, training facilities, Old Trafford itself) to service his huge borrowing.

Someone posted above that Man Utd = Leeds United

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast