Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Revolution

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!

Smile

Nintendo's Revolution - [Console Hardware]
    Submitted by RaiseR RoofeR on 5/14/2005 11:43:13 AM 46 Comments

"Nintendo is good and cute...and there's nothing wrong with that," says Robbie Bach, Microsoft's chief Xbox officer and senior vice president. "They'll be a competitor, but in a different category almost. I don't think they have the same ambition that either Sony or Microsoft does in the more mainstream interactive entertainment space."

Bach's words were presumably based on Nintendo's long-standing policy that game consoles should be for games, period. This philosophy was at the core of the company's current-generation console, the GameCube, which uses a proprietary three-inch disc format, versus the DVDs used by the PlayStation 2 and the current and next-gen Xboxes.

However, it appears that will soon change. In a statement on its official Web site, the company "stated loud and clear that [it is] not to be overlooked in the next-generation home console race." Nintendo announced that its new console, code-named the "Revolution," will play DVDs and be backward compatible. "Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube three-inch discs, along with its own standard, double-layered DVD discs in the same self-loading media drive," said the company.

Speaking of DVDs, Nintendo also mentioned that the Revolution "will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer." This would make it the Japanese game giant's smallest console to date, as well as making it barely larger than Sony's new slimline PS2, which is about two times as thick and about an inch-and-a-half longer than a DVD case. Like the PS2 and the Xbox 360, the new Revolution will be able to lie on its side or stand on one end for horizontal or vertical display.

Unfortunately, Nintendo's statement, which appeared strategically timed to deflate some of the hype surrounding the Xbox 360's unveiling, had few other specific details. It reconfirmed details revealed in Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's 2005 Game Developers Conference keynote address. Namely, it reconfirmed that the Revolution will be "wireless Internet ready out of the box" and will be powered by an IBM CPU and an ATI GPU.

That said, the statement concluded with a tantalizing tease for Nintendo fans. "There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months," it read, "but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time, and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system."

Nintendo also confirmed what has been long suspected...that the Revolution won't arrive until next year. The last line of the statement read, "Get ready for the Nintendo Revolution in 2006!"

^ STILL SOUNDS GAY TO ME JUST POSTING SO THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE NINTENDO CAN BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!

2. Games   -   #2
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Nintendo pwns, game cube pwns - can't really think of a simpler way to explain it?

3. Games   -   #3
    i just read this X-0 thanks mam.i hope its as powers as the earth simulater.

4. Games   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    hardware-wise, Revolution will pwn xbox360 and playstation2 because they're concentrating on things other than the graphics. plus it will be prepared for the internet... free internet

5. Games   -   #5
    i hope youre right gripper.i dont feel like buying a 1,000,000$ system just to buy slightly better graphic then ps2.

6. Games   -   #6
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Slightly better graphics than the PS2?

If this link is correct, the specs will be better than the Xbox 360:
    http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=v...e=news&ID=6707

IMO it's a good thing that they have the balls to be innovative,

like for instance the rumours of 3D projection implies:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15143-1894-4-6-x

I couldn't care less about better graphics really. I'm already dead tired of the same old shit that is games, and if something new comes along I'll surely welcome it.
    Last edited by Barky; 05-15-2005 at 08:00 PM.

7. Games   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    hardware-wise, Revolution will pwn xbox360 and playstation2 because they're concentrating on things other than the graphics. plus it will be prepared for the internet... free internet
    Those are just hardware rumors ATM. Just wait til it is confirmed before you say it will pwn Xbox 360 and PS2 (think you meant PS3).

Xbox Live Silver will be free. So thats "free internet".
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

8. Games   -   #8
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    Those are just hardware rumors ATM. Just wait til it is confirmed before you say it will pwn Xbox 360 and PS2 (think you meant PS3).

We all know it will work out like this. Nintendo Revolution will be the third option and nothing more. It will have the same old games that are only devloped for it. (eg. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, ect...) Xbox 360 will have the most devlopers, and more games then both the Rev and PS3 combined. Becuase there making it so easy for them to make games for there new system. PS3 will be the power box, can power anything you throw at it, but wont have as mant games, and platformers.

I may be wrong, i don't think i am. We will see

9. Games   -   #9
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy

i think it's pretty safe to say nintendo are going to pull something wacky off, considering the name is revolution. also the rumours have been started by nintendo workers, it'd be a huge suprise if at least the controller wasn't something new.

important nintendo people have been saying since the launch of gamecube that graphics are coming close to the limits of what they can do and gaming needs to go in a different direction.

10. Games   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz
    We all know it will work out like this. Nintendo Revolution will be the third option and nothing more. It will have the same old games that are only devloped for it. (eg. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, ect...) Xbox 360 will have the most devlopers, and more games then both the Rev and PS3 combined. Becuase there making it so easy for them to make games for there new system. PS3 will be the power box, can power anything you throw at it, but wont have as mant games, and platformers.

I may be wrong, i don't think i am. We will see
    There's no way you can say that the new xbox will be easier to make games for than the others, neither nintendo nor sony are companies run by idiots, I reckon chances are good that the new systems will be very programmer-friendly.

As for the number of people playing on them, the original xbox needed massive pricecuts to get a decent following and it's still not as good as the PS2's. I figure sony (and nintendo in their own way) already have a tradition to build on that will ensure financing and the proper inspiration for a decent set of games, I'm not that sure about microsoft, so far they've mostly poured money into all kinds of glitzy projects, but I haven't seen that much depth to their venture.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-16-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast