Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changed CPU now i get lots of BSOD's Help

ok i will do that thanx. mine is made by seagate.
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GIG PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 2
    200GIG HARDDRIVE
    16X DVD-ROM
    DVD-BURNER
    EXTERNAL FLOPPY
    LIGHT IN CASE
    GEFORCE FX 5200 256MB

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    OK, OK.
    DC posted a vague description of his problem, I posted asking two questions that he answered 'yes' to, and when I say the HDD is fucked, people still talk about checking heatsinks and testing RAM.

Did you lot think I pulled those questions from the fucking ether? No, I've seen exactly this twice in the last year - oddly, both with WD HDDs so I've silently avoided them .

Think about it... the computer sits there doing nothing, the HDD makes a loud (and it's very loud for a HDD) click or two and there's a BSOD.
    With the first system I looked at with this problem, I came to the conclusion that removing the power cord for a short time let capacitors in the drive discharge and it reset itself to some internal configuration that it could run from.

DC. take the drive out, put it into another computer as slave and try looking at or playing some files from it for a while. That's what I did and both drives failed again.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    ok i will put as slave and play aronud with it, and stuff, i think i will eventually go switch it out and get a new one for it.
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GIG PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 2
    200GIG HARDDRIVE
    16X DVD-ROM
    DVD-BURNER
    EXTERNAL FLOPPY
    LIGHT IN CASE
    GEFORCE FX 5200 256MB

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    OK, OK.
    DC posted a vague description of his problem, I posted asking two questions that he answered 'yes' to, and when I say the HDD is fucked, people still talk about checking heatsinks and testing RAM.

Did you lot think I pulled those questions from the fucking ether? No, I've seen exactly this twice in the last year - oddly, both with WD HDDs so I've silently avoided them .

Think about it... the computer sits there doing nothing, the HDD makes a loud (and it's very loud for a HDD) click or two and there's a BSOD.
    With the first system I looked at with this problem, I came to the conclusion that removing the power cord for a short time let capacitors in the drive discharge and it reset itself to some internal configuration that it could run from.

DC. take the drive out, put it into another computer as slave and try looking at or playing some files from it for a while. That's what I did and both drives failed again.

There is no way you an be 100% sure it is the hard drive or just the hard drive and not other things as well without looking and testing the pc yourself.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    There is no way you an be 100% sure it is the hard drive or just the hard drive and not other things as well without looking and testing the pc yourself.
    With all due respect, Peerzy... bollocks.

So there's no connection between the noise and the BSOD? How did I guess he had problems restarting? I've seen it twice before and with these exact symptoms being so peculiar, I'd say 100% it's the HDD.
    If it ain't I'll eat one of pete's kittens.
    Last edited by Chewie; 05-21-2005 at 04:53 AM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    lynx's Avatar .

So there's no connection between the noise and the BSOD? How did I guess he had problems restarting? I've seen it twice before and with these exact symptoms being so peculiar, I'd say 100% it's the HDD.
    You are probably right about the HDD being at fault.

I just can't get my head round why you are so insistent that he shouldn't try some diagnostics, they can't make the situation any worse and will almost certainly confirm the true source of the problems.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37

Well if his HDD is going, and will have died within the next say month, but the BSOD's were caused by another part as well then replacing the hard drive wouldn't have fixed his original problem. It could be a multitude of problems not just 1 part.

With the half assed badly typed infomation he has given us i cannot see how you can say it is 100% the hard drive and nothing else is wrong/causing other problems.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'll get the kitten ready.

Will medium rare do?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    DC mentioned the hard drive makes a noise as if it's trying to load something right before a BSOD.
    I described the noise exactly (which is a really loud click or three) and asked about another telltale, to which he replied he experiences.

The first thing I did with a system doing this was drop the drive into another box and run it on that until it BSODed (not long). Why DC hasn't tried this with the number of systems he must have at his disposal I can't imagine... unless they're all terminal! Mind you, the number of times he posts about faulty systems constantly amazes me.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Otherwise, These people can probably help you with backups: music or video
    I thought it was the other way around.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast