Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: System Stability

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I need some help here, ever since I got the new motherboard I've been having odd, problems. Stability issues, not really crashing, but more like getting booted from the internet, at first I thought that was the router, but my linux box keeps its connection.

I think that could also be the driver for the onboard lan. It could be a problem with the actual lan port.

Also the machine has been running slower, and Im getting a lot of not responding issues.

I didn't reinstall windows when I got this new motherboard, because it was an RMA of the old one. Could that be it?

The only other things that have changed were...
    I had a problem getting the memory to run dual channel, it wouldn't boot.

Maybe a BIOS update is in order.

I need help pinpointing this problem, because I really don't have the time nor the energy to start poking blindly at this updating drivers, and things, I'd like to know what needs fixing.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Its always wise to do a re-install when changing MB's. It could be that your having driver issues.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    Its always wise to do a re-install when changing MB's. It could be that your having driver issues.
    I didn't reinstall windows when I got this new motherboard, because it was an RMA of the old one.
    No need to reinstall.

But certainly go for the bios update, and also check for driver updates, there are sometimes subtle differences between different releases of the same mobo.

A little more info about your configuration would be helpful. Well, any info actually. I take it we are actually talking about a computer here, you were a little vague.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I knew I forgot something... lol

Its a...
    Abit NF7-S2 or version 2 or whatever
    AMD 2500 @ 3200
    1 gig of Kingmax ram
    and a Powercooler 9800 Pro.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Drop it down to stock speeds and see if the problem persists.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Hmm.. maybe since I can't get it to boot in dual channel mode the memory is messing with the overclock?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Pull out all but one stick and see.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Maybe I had the wrong slots, but it seemed whenever the was a stick in the middle socket it wouldn't boot, tomarrow ill take a closer look, maybe theres a small defect block it from being seated correctly, plastic spill over or something.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Which board is it?

The NF7-S2 is NOT the same as NF7-S Version 2.0, and the NF7-S2 is very poor for overclocking. If you had an NF7-S version 2.0 before, make sure they haven't replaced it with the NF7-S2.

Only 2 dimm slots are allowed to be used when using DDR400 memory. Also, I believe you have to use identical dimms in slots 1&3 or 2&3, but not 1&2, if you want dual channel mode. I'm sure someone who's got/had one can confirm this.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Uhh I have two Identical slots, how can I check the model of the motherboard, I have the manual but if they sent me a similar but not the same one that doesn't help.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast