Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I see that those new amd processors are out the venices and sean fransicos or w/e there called. I wanna know if those are good for gamming. I cant recall which AMD core is best for overclocking... Winchester I think? On newegg the have a AMD 64 3500+ Winchester OEM, dont wanna spend the money for a fan.heatsink for it tho... And whats the difference between the difference between Serial ATA150, IDE Ultra ATA100?

Also I need to find a black Cd drive that can burn regular CD-R's. No need for a DVD burner.

They also have a clawhammer that has the same speics as the winchester but is retail which is more convenient for me. How does the clawhammer compare to the winchester?
    Last edited by S!X; 05-22-2005 at 07:25 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Bump

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Why limit yourself with a cd burner. You will certainly want a dvd reader since more and more software (particularly games) is coming on that media, and the cost of the two together is about the same as a good dvd burner. Stay well away from combo drives, they don't do a good job either as a cd burner or as a dvd reader IMO.

I can recommend the NEC 3520A. The 3540A is now available for a little more (not at newegg yet), but since burning DVD's isn't your prime objective the extra performance would probably be a waste.

I don't think you would want the Clawhammer processor, it is made using the 130nm process whereas the Winchester and Venice and San Diego cores use the 90nm process and consequently run a lot cooler, which in turn increases their OCing potential.

The nearest I can find on newegg is this 3700+ San Diego, but the price may be a little more than you want to pay.

Edit: Sata drives use a different (serial) connection compared to "standard" ide drives. They are slightly easier to fit, and the thinner cable doesn't hinder airflow to the same extent. The drive to mobo speed is slightly improved on SATA drives, but the electronice to media speed is usually about the same so there isn't that much difference in performance. You may need to install special drivers for the SATA controller on you mobo.
    Last edited by lynx; 05-22-2005 at 11:02 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    There are also differences in the amount of L2 cache that each core is sporting- be careful as the specs are confusing.

The Venice cores seem to be kickass overclockers if that's your cuppa.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Even with the stuff ive picked out so far its quite pricey, So I really dont know what to do about the processor... I dont think I wanna overclock on this new rig. I do want a good right to play CSS on and all them cool games out now.... I really dont know what to do, The nice thing is that the FATAL1TY mobo has gone down it price from like 230 to 185. @Lynx, that drive you picked out looks good but is kinda high priced (yea it may souns stupid but everything ive got picked out for this rig is easily over 1 grand) Can you maybe find somethin cheaper but still good quality? And yea I dont need a DVD burner cause the only things I burn are music cd's files to CD-RW's and thats about it. If I desperately need a DVD drive I'll pick one up sometime down the road.

EDIT: Ive downlgraded on the ram which is a good thing... Its like the same ram I picked out in the first place but cheaper, ($115 Corsair XMS dual channel kit) I dont know what else id sacrifice to lower the overall price I like everything I picked out so far
    Last edited by S!X; 05-22-2005 at 09:16 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    In the long run you will actually saving you money by getting a DVD burner.

EVERY new game that's out now comes on DVD, so you need a DVD reader. Guaranteed. Cheapest in black is $22.

You need a burner. Cheapest CD burner in black is $22.

Admittedly, you could get a combo for about $32, but you would regret it till the day you put it in the trash.

So you will spend $44 on 2 drives. For an extra $6 (less if you go for one of the other drives) you can burn dvd's. And I guarantee you will want to burn dvd's when all your games are on dvd.

If you think I'm going to recomend a cd burner when I don't see your need for one, think again.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hmmm, So I need seperate drives? Cd burner and dvd drive?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Hmmm, So I need seperate drives? Cd burner and dvd drive?
    No. Just a DVD burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152035

I agree with lynx. You won't regret getting a DVD burner. Also very handy to backup data. The 4.7 GB media is very inexpensve.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Alrighty, Thanks for the help so far.. As far as OEM drives go, What am I missing compared to a retail package?
    Last edited by S!X; 05-23-2005 at 02:59 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    A box and sometimes some software. But I have also seen the software included with the OEM product. So basicly... A box.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast