Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ABS Ultimate V2 36... worth buying?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Not bad, but you will be paying top price for a system which is already out of date.
    Yeah, quit picking these socket 754 based systems.
    If you are going AMD then the only rational choice is a 939 platform.

Then you need to decide about PCI-express based SLI...is that the path you want to follow or not?
    Read up here to get some basic info.

After making some decisions about the basic hardware we can proceed.
    Lynx has some pretty definite ideas about what he likes, personally, I rarely burn discs of any type and bought the Plextor mainly because it is SATA (my system has NO IDE at all...).

Even if you are not going totally SATA you should make sure that you have the option to upgrade in the future...many new boards are featuring up to 8 SATA ports and should be good for a while.

Temporarily at least, beware of ABIT.
    They are in severe financial trouble and who knows what might happen.
    I have no knowledge of product quality declining, but the lack of future BIOS revisions could turn into a real problem.

If you are a gamer, the DFI LanParty boards are the undisputed topdogs.
    Those guys seem to get new BIOS revisions every other day and the support seems very consistent.
    They also enjoy a large (and growing) pool of info regarding settings...a useful thing as BIOS settings with a64 chips can be very confusing.

You will also need to pay special attention to RAM.
    New boards seem to have gotten much pickier and different memory types (UTT, TCCD, BH-5) make big differences.

Even if you don't physically assemble the PC yourself it's up to you to research the options and make decisions so you get what you want.
    This can't be done by simply Googling for price...as you've already seen, your price range is going to buy you into a dead end if you're not careful.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    See thats the thing, I don't understand this socket 754 or socket 939 stuff.

I did want a PCI express PC, but they end up costing a lot more... I don't want to spend too much..

I guess I'll look around a bit more..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    See thats the thing, I don't understand this socket 754 or socket 939 stuff.

I did want a PCI express PC, but they end up costing a lot more... I don't want to spend too much..

I guess I'll look around a bit more..
    Whats the MAX you will spend? Try looking at parts and put somethin together...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    I guess I could get this one,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883102627

Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939

But its so much more, damn my budget.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Whats the MAX you will spend? Try looking at parts and put somethin together...
    I want to spend around $1,300 max. I don't want to build anything because I don't know how, and in the process of building a PC, there are 3429543 different things that could go wrong.

When it comes to building, I'm pretty much a noob.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Well, If you do encounter any problems building... You could always ask for help on here right?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Well, If you do encounter any problems building... You could always ask for help on here right?
    That's true.

But I'd rather buy it built... trust me... it's bad. I know how to put in RAM, HDDs, video cards and stuff. But I don't know how to install a CPU, a heatsink (which I think is the thing that goes on top of the CPU ), the mobo into the case, the fans, and a bunch of other stuff I don't know.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and everything related to the BIOS... I don't understand.
    Last edited by Rip The Jacker; 05-22-2005 at 09:09 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    That's true.

But I'd rather buy it built... trust me... it's bad. I know how to put in RAM, HDDs, video cards and stuff. But I don't know how to install a CPU, a heatsink (which I think is the thing that goes on top of the CPU ), the mobo into the case, the fans, and a bunch of other stuff I don't know.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and everything related to the BIOS... I don't understand.
    Im 15 and I know how to install all that stuff, Learned most of it from messing around with my own comp and from this forum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Im 15 and I know how to install all that stuff, Learned most of it from messing around with my own comp and from this forum
    Show-off.

I don't know too much, simply because I don't mess around with my PC. I've had a bad history of problems.

Guess I'm stuck again... I think I should wait a little, until my budget will let me get something more expensive...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    You said your willing to spend $1,300 max, You could get my whole rig for less then that But like you said you cant put it together Maybe you could get a buddy whos into comps to rig it up for you?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast