Thread: Port Forwarding...I cannot find my Static IP Address

Poster
    I am aware of that I should type command is windows/run but the thing is when I do that this message pops up
    "C:/Windows /system32/command
    C:/Windows /system32/autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft Windows application.Choose close to terminate the application

I use a 5-port 10/100M ethernet mini switch Origo...Anyone have any idea how I portforward with this?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can get to the command prompt by the shortcut in the start menu: Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt.

http://www.portforward.com/

Edit: I just notice you are trying to port forward a hub/switch. Do yourself a favor and use a router.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 05-22-2005 at 02:41 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I got a broadband phone and another pc at home...So I cant use a router because it needs 3 internet lines.
    BTW...Why do you suggest I use a router...I cant port forward a switch?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Command is a dos program, it comes with Win95/98/ME.

The command prompt under NT/W2k/XP is cmd.exe so you should have typed:
    "C:/Windows/system32/cmd", although just "cmd" would have done the same thing.

Even better would be to right click on "Network Connections" and select Properties, then find your connection, right click on that and select Status. The support tab would have shown you your IP address.

Having said all that, for it to be a static IP address then surely you must have manually entered it. If not, then it isn't static (unless someone else did it for you).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I dont get this...Before I just needed to type in my ip and my router site would just appear..I guess this is different with a switch

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    bump

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I also didn't notice it was a switch.

Why do you think a router needs 3 internet lines (if that's what you are saying). The whole point of a router, is that it combines all your subsidiary devices and makes them appear as one device to the outside world.

Using a switch requires a separate IP address for each device, which is possible but your ISP will probably charge for each extra address. Because each device has it's own address there's no such thing as port forwarding, it is transparent.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    www.whatismyip.com

here you can see your ip at the moment - sometimes very helpful