Thread: who is being insulted??

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I posted this in funny stuff but a new twist has risen

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Maher
    And finally, New Rule: The people in America who are most in favor of the Iraq war must now go there and fight it. The Army missed its recruiting goal by 42% last month. More people joined the Michael Jackson Fan Club. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit." And now we need warm bodies. We need warm bodies like Paula Abdul needs...warm bodies!

Now, last week, a Baptist minister in North Carolina told nine members of his congregation that unless they renounced their 2004 vote for John Kerry, they had to leave his church. Well, if we're that certain these days that George Bush is always that right about everything, then going to Iraq to fulfill the glorious leader's vision would seem the least one could do. And, hey, if it makes it any easier for you, just think of it as a reality show: "Fear Factor: Shitting Your Pants Edition." "Survivor: Sunni Triangle." Or maybe it's a video game, "Grand Theft Allah."

Now, I know you're thinking, but, Bill, I already do my part with the "Support Our Troops" magnet I have on my Chevy Tahoe. How much more can one man give? Well, here's an intriguing economic indicator. It's been over a year since they graduated, but neither of the Bush twins has been able to find work. Why don't they sign up? Do they hate America or just freedom in general?

And that goes for everybody who helped sell this war. You've got to go first. Brooks and Dunn, drop your cocks and grab your socks! Ann Coulter, darling, trust me, you will love the Army. You think you make up shit!

Curt Schilling, b-bye! You ended the curse on Boston. Good. Let's try your luck in Fallouja. Oh, and that Republican Baldwin brother, he's got to go so that Ted Nugent has someone to frag.

But mostly, we have to send Mr. And Mrs. Britney Spears. Because Britney once said, "We should trust our president in every decision that he makes, and we should just support that and be faithful in what happens." Okay, somebody has to die for that. Or at least go. Hey, maybe she'll like it. Hell, she's already knocked up. That'll save the MP unit about ten minutes.

And think of the spiritual lift it will provide to troops and civilians alike when actual combat smacks the smirk off of Kevin Federline's face and fills his low-hanging trousers with dootie.

In summation, you cannot advocate for something you wouldn't do yourself. For example, I'm for fuel efficiency, which is why I drive a hybrid car and always take an electric private plane. I'm for legalizing marijuana, and so I smoke a ton of it.
    Alabama congressman Spencer Bachus is now attacking Bill Maher and demanding that HBO cancel his show because he thinks the troops are being insulted. He has said Maher is a traitor.
    Is this a geniuine gripe or is it just "popularist bandwagoning"?

Who do you feel Maher is attacking in this comedy skit? the troops or those that don't fight?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i reckon it's a fair thing to say. maybe if people had thought about it they wouldn't ave been so eager to go to war

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I cant even see a suggestion of an insult aimed at troops in there, no matter which way i read it.

I do see a lot of insults aimed at; i think the term is "Chickenhawks" and also young Republicans.

Was the congressman "protected" when he libeled that comic with one of, arguably, the worst crimes you can be accused of? I mean the punishment for that crime is the Death Penalty FFS..
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 05-24-2005 at 07:20 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I cant even see a suggestion of an insult aimed at troops in there, no matter which way i read it.
    Me neither, I can't see anything which appears to be aimed at the troops.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    SpatulaGeekGirl's Avatar Noodle Critic BT Rep: +2
    He's insulting the hypocrites that are for the war but don't fight in it, not the troops or anyone against the war.
    That's the way the potato mashes.
    That's the way the pan flashes.
    That's the way the market crashes.
    That's the way the whip lashes.
    That's the way the teeth gnashes.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaGeekGirl
    He's insulting the hypocrites that are for the war but don't fight in it, not the troops or anyone against the war.
    So then anyone who supports the war but is, perhaps, 70-years-of-age, or wheel-chair-bound, or under-aged, even...is precluded from expressing their support?

Sort of an intolerant view, that.
    Disclaimers don't really fit into comedy sketches that well.

Presumably Bill Maher reckons we'd get it.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    So then anyone who supports the war but is, perhaps, 70-years-of-age, or wheel-chair-bound, or under-aged, even...is precluded from expressing their support?

Sort of an intolerant view, that.

The people mentioned directly in the skit were all of age and all physically able. He is pointing out both a hypocrisy and a real problem. Here we have our troops having their duties extended because not enough people are putting their bodies where their mouths are. I feel this is a fair point though may not be a palletable point to a great deal of "supporters". Let's not shy away from a truth. Is a just cause something you are prepared to die for or just something you are prepared to have someone else die for?.

I remember Manny (who I like a lot) putting his case as to why he hadn't joined up and that he was grateful that others fight in his place...he got a volcano of criticism over it.

I have to bite my tounge hard when I hear politicians from all sides talking about "the need to fight for freedom" yet when it was their turn to fight they chose not to. Then those who did serve have their characters assasinated if the speak out about the war.
    Nobody (apart from your comment) suggests that one that is physically unable to fight is precluded from supporting...

I see the bumper sticker every day "support Bush and our troops".... well I will always support our troops but I don't support how Bush is playing with their lives....their is a subtle difference.
    J2 you are one that likes the traditional and original meaning of words.
    "Patriotism" seems to have been re-interpreted.

@all

here is the congressmans site putting his case

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

Harking in the general direction of another thread hereabout, is it sufficient merely to say that you would do something, and have the sentiment serve?
    I agree you raise a valid point here.... words are indeed cheap... we do however have a situation at present where we can test the sentiment.
    BTW.

You got me monologuing..you sly dog