Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router problems

blank BT Rep: +1
    i am on a broadband connection and my router (wireless) wont let me get on line.

my broadband modem connects in seconds but when i try to use the router it wont allow me saying it cant connect to the internet

i am trying to use a sagem 1400w which i have used in the past with other isps.

any suggestions?

if not is there any way i can use my router to allow other people to connect to the internet through my pc and via the modem? other people can connect to my router and i am connected by usb
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry if some of these seem obvious, but overlooking the obvious can waste a lot of time.

I assume you are not trying to use the modem and the router at the same time, and that you are connecting it to the same point as the modem.

Have you entered the user name and password provided by your isp into the router? The ones in your pc are only for modem operation, you have to enter them in the router since it takes over full control of the adsl line. Also, I do not mean the root/1234 user/password that you enter at the start of the http configurator, that's just to get access to the router itself.

Have you run the router diagnostics? They nearly all have them, if you let us know how far they get in the diagnostics someone can probably tell you what is wrong. At the very least we need a screenshot of the quick status program.

If you can't get it working any other way, you could just use the router as a switch and use ICS via the pc/modem, but that would also require quite a bit of configuration of the router so I don't think it is worth considering until you've exhausted all the normal methods.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Doba's Avatar Divel
    I've got a quick router question.

My router needs to be "reset" a lot. Once or twice a day. I just have to unplug and plug it back in to reset it, but it can be a pain in the ass if I have torrents going while I am at work or something. Is there a way around that, or something I can do to make it less frequent?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba
    I've got a quick router question.

My router needs to be "reset" a lot. Once or twice a day. I just have to unplug and plug it back in to reset it, but it can be a pain in the ass if I have torrents going while I am at work or something. Is there a way around that, or something I can do to make it less frequent?
    Get a better router.

Seriously, that sort of problem usually only happens with poor quality routers. If it is a well documented problem check to see if there's a firmware update.

You haven't specified the make/model so it's impossible to help more than that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Doba's Avatar Divel
    I've got a LinkSys WRT-54G. I'll just deal with it if I have to buy another one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Sorry if some of these seem obvious, but overlooking the obvious can waste a lot of time.

I assume you are not trying to use the modem and the router at the same time, and that you are connecting it to the same point as the modem.

Have you entered the user name and password provided by your isp into the router? The ones in your pc are only for modem operation, you have to enter them in the router since it takes over full control of the adsl line. Also, I do not mean the root/1234 user/password that you enter at the start of the http configurator, that's just to get access to the router itself.

Have you run the router diagnostics? They nearly all have them, if you let us know how far they get in the diagnostics someone can probably tell you what is wrong. At the very least we need a screenshot of the quick status program.

If you can't get it working any other way, you could just use the router as a switch and use ICS via the pc/modem, but that would also require quite a bit of configuration of the router so I don't think it is worth considering until you've exhausted all the normal methods.
    firstly thanks for help. am ripping my hair out here.
    No i am not running both at the same time and yes i've connected it to the same point as the modem

i've entered the same passwords given to me by the isp in the router set up (i have connected using it with other ips before)

i'll run a scan and post a screen shot in a second

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by hungrylilboy
    i'll run a scan and post a screen shot in a second
    That's a long second.

Congrats on 1000 posts.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    wahoo 1000 posts. umm the router has crashed permantly. having major problems. all the lights on the front are flashing on and off and i cant connect to it at all. jeez

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba
    I've got a LinkSys WRT-54G. I'll just deal with it if I have to buy another one.
    There are numerous reports about the symptoms you describe. There are some official beta and unofficial firmwares here but you have to register to get the official ones. I've read that 4.00.7 solves most problems.

In future, please start your own thread unless your problem is exactly the same as the one being discussed.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can also find firmware here: http://www.linksys.com/download/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast