Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenaged Daughters Pregnant? Blame the Schools.

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Jemma, Jade and Natasha Williams, who receive benefits totalling more than £31,000 a year, are raising their babies alone after they became pregnant within three months of each other.

The sisters, aged 12, 14 and 16 when they gave birth, live in Derby with their twice-divorced mother, who holds the education system responsible for their plight.

"I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better," said Julie Atkins, 38. "More and more kids are getting pregnant younger and younger and sex education needs to start a lot earlier.

"If I could turn the clock back I would definitely prefer them to not have children as their education is so important. They've all ruined their lives because they are all too young to have children."

Jemma, the youngest sister, was the first to become pregnant, giving birth to her son T-Jay in February last year. Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion, had Amani. The next month, Jade, 14, gave birth to daughter Lita.

Jemma and Jade, who is about to take her GCSEs, are still in school.

The family lives rent-free in a three-bedroom council house, which they claim is too cramped. Their mother claims benefit for Jade and Jemma, now 15, as well as for their children. However, she said that day-to-day life was a struggle.

"It's really difficult to survive on what we have," she said. "My average shopping bill is £90 a week, and then there's all that extra stuff like toys, nappies and medicine.

"The house is far too small. I have to share a bedroom with Natasha and Amani which is very cramped. Hopefully we may be able to get a bigger house, but who knows?"

Mrs Atkins, who had her first child at 20, said she was astonished that her daughters had become pregnant so young. "It just doesn't seem possible," she said.

"I was so shocked when I found out about Jemma. She thought I would hit the roof and didn't tell me for seven months. I only found out when I took her to buy a new bra and as she was being measured I saw her huge bump."

Jemma said: "I didn't tell anyone because I was too scared and didn't know what to do. I only told my boyfriend, who was 14 at the time, but I didn't want to have an abortion.

"He was my first love. He was great to start with, but he's got a new girlfriend now. I was so frightened when I went into hospital to have my baby. It was so painful and I was in labour for three days."

Jade said she had been determined not to do the same, after seeing all the dirty nappies and her sister enduring sleepless nights. But she became pregnant after "a one-night stand".

She said: "It was just one of those things really. I wasn't using contraception and I suppose I just thought it wouldn't happen to me."

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".

Earlier this year, the Government's tax and benefit system was said to be responsible for making Britain the single-parent capital of the world.

The Centre for Policy Studies think-tank said married couples on average weekly salaries were only £1 better off than single mothers who never worked and had no contact with the father of their children.

-Telegraph
    Just came across this one. I'm not going to post much of anything on it yet, because I've got an hour left in my shift and I'm completely knackered. Subsequently, anything I'd write probably wouldn't make much sense.

Although, £31,000 is aproximately $71,400....

1. Get teenaged daughters pregnant
    2. ????
    3. Profit

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I'm not going to comment on the benefits or the winging that they don't have "enough"..This is the low side of what is a caring system.

I will stay with the thread title.

To blame the school is a cop out of the worst kind. Parents have to accept full responsibility for raising their children, not farm it out.
    it is the schools job to teach maths, reading, writing, history etc.. etc.. not to teach morals or behaviour. I do however feel strongly that if a school covers sex ed. then it should be comprehensive and medically accurate.

the parent or guardian hold total responsibility for their kids behaviour. If this woman felt so strongly that sex ed should be better and start earlier she should have done it herself.

I feel sorry for these children but I have no respect for this woman's attitude
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-25-2005 at 02:52 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Stupid kids. Shoulda used birth control or should of gotten an abortion. Having kids is idiotic anyway. Especially if you havent even gotten out of high school.

Anyone who is opposed to abortion I challenge you to this, you must raise all of the kids of the teenage mothers in the country. Well split them equally up towards all the self-righteus "pro-lifers."

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    It really is a sad day for society when parents expect education to teach their kids about literally everything

The fact she isn't getting that much in benefits doesn't bother me, as I've seen worse abuse & it seems a little fit as it's a seven-person family. It isn't the fact that she's the mother to (let's forget about the three for now) a teenage daughter, as these things sadly happen.

It's the case that she's pawning the blame to anyone else but herself, despite being the one who's the most likely to influence them against it.

"More and more kids are getting pregnant younger and younger and sex education needs to start a lot earlier." - Course they are due to the culture, but education is part of it - The deterrant from it should also be done in the home as well.

"If I could turn the clock back I would definitely prefer them to not have children as their education is so important." - Notice how she says prefer, not I'd do more to make sure they don't have children

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".
    A 38-year-old screwing a 16-year-old. It's legal, but shouldn't alarm bells have been ringing then?

I would go on about the role of education, but vidcc has done it well - The education system is there to teach children the skills for this world. It is not there to teach them how to live in this world, as that's the role of the parents. I was lucky to be in a decent high school and learn this lot in detail pretty early, but there are a lot of schools where they aren't as much cop and this in-depth education isn't going to be possible in them - Relying on the schools to do this is a risky & foolish way to make sure they learn.

The woman's ex-husband was in the papers a couple of days ago, having a go at her for letting them mother children so young. I really despise people who use the papers for revenge or just to slag off their ex-companion, but in this case I'd say he was right.

I think we have a new chav queen.
    Last edited by Illuminati; 05-25-2005 at 03:15 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    The thing is this mum let her kids 14 year old boyfriend stay over when she was 11 ffs.

It was in the paper today that when the youngest daughter had her baby the other two daughters embarked upon a race to see who could have a kid first so they could get some of thier mum's attention too

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    If the school assures my daughter that sex is normal, acceptable and expected
    Which schools teach this?

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    tells her that a prophylactic is adequate protection against STDs and pregnancy, then hands her a defective condom, who is to blame for the consequences?
    Again which school hands out condoms.

Schools do teach sex ed. If it is a responsible program (and I don't think this abstinence only is) then they will teach ALL aspects emphasising the possible outcome.

That said it is not the schools responsibility to raise our children

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    J2

there may have been reports on the news back then (but i was mobile at that period) about some places where student pregnancy rates where out of control but as far as I am aware it is not education policy and certainly not in the case of this woman in the UK.

The handing out that I have heard of was in reaction to a serious problem and as far as I am aware it isn't happening today, certainly not in my sons school and he is in the age group. At no point did those schools tell the pupils that sex was "acceptable and expected". the idea was not encouragement to have sex nor was it condoning the act. it was facing up to a reality.
    But what do you consider "handing out" ? is it having a vending machine in the toilets? is it having a school healthcare worker that will hand them out if anyone applies or is it giving all students one?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    or is it giving all students one?
    If they need them at all at that age... one will not be enough.

If their Sex Drive is low enough that one is enough, its not high enough to actually overcome the obsticles to getting laid..

At least in the UK... at 16 and 17 (like in parts of the US), thats a different matter. (Although 1 is definatly not enough then)...

In the UK, kids can get free condoms if they go to a family planning clinic. Hell, they can even get put on the pill if they go there. The clinic will try and talk them out of having sexual relations at an early age though.

Or, they can just buy the Condoms over the counter like the rest of us.. there is no age restriction on their purchase.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    They make leathal water baloons so I hear

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    [QUOTE=Rat Faced]
    Or, they can just buy the Condoms over the counter like the rest of us.. there is no age restriction on their purchase.
    The sexual health clinic I worked for we could not give condoms to children under the age of 13, if we did we risked losing our "licence" to give condoms out altogether. I don't know if this is the case for someone like Boots or Superdrug though.

I'll try and find out, I'm interested myself.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast