Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some More Questions

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Ok, Ive been looking at ram, Theres this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450

and this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145523

They look the same to me except the second one has "timming of

"TCCD 2-2-2-5". Could someone please tell me what the TCCD stands for and which is better between the 2? I know the white one has platinum heatspreaders and the black has "plug and frag" which automatically boots with its Xtra-Low latency....

And will that be good for gaming? What are the differences between high and low latency ram? this stuff is all too confusing to me!

Ah, and one more darn question... from looking at the specs on these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145522
    and the second link i posted, they look the same just different color.... is that true or am i missing something? Say some ram on new egg has the "Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 T1" What does the T1 stand for?

EDIT Clocker, If you reading this, how does these corsairs in the second and third link compare to that patriot memory you suggested in my possibly building a comp thread? Like which is faster and better for gamming.... This ram stuff is really confusing the fuck out of me, I just wanna have this all planned out so I can order all the stuff and not have to spend year and years doing it when im in florida, put the badboy together and get playin some CSS fecking hardcore.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by S!X; 05-26-2005 at 08:07 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    The numbers (2-2-2-5, 2-3-3-6 etc) are the timings of various memory signals and refer to the number of clock cycles needed for the signal to be considered stable. They are to do with the setup time for a data transfer, and how long you have to wait after a transfer before you can start setting up the next one.
    They are:
    CAS Latency
    RAS Precharge Delay
    RAS to CAS Delay
    Active Precharge Delay

You can generally consider the whole thing as "latency" because it takes the same amount of time if you are going to transer the minimum (8 bytes) or the maximum (??). Once the setup is complete transfer takes place at the clock speed. Obviously, lower numbers mean lower latency.

There is also Write Delay, which is usually 1 or 2 clock cycles (T1=1 cycle). It is the additional time between writing to memory and that memory being stable enough to begin the next operation. This additional delay is why writing to memory is much slower than reading from memory. DDR400 reads memory twice every clock cycle. Adding a clock cycle between each write effectively means that the memory is running at about a third of it's equivalent read speed. Adding 2 cycles means about a fifth of the speed. T1 is better than T2, but don't assume that just because the memory isn't stated as T1 that it isn't, most will happily run at T1.

TCCD is a DDR500 chip design from Samsung. Lots of dimm makers have taken them and tried to wring high performance out of them at DDR400 speeds. Dimm design, voltage and the SPD chip can affect performance quite considerably. However, there is some concern that these chips don't like higher voltages at DDR400 and they may not work properly at 2-2-2-5 without higher voltage, something of a paradox. It means they are good for overclocking (remember they are DDR500 chips) where you would slacken the timings but you may not see much benefit (and may still have to slacken the timings) if you are not.

AFAIK, there's no difference between TWINX1024-3200XL and TWINX1024-3200XLPT, the PT simply means platinum - it is Corsair's Platinum series and I don't think it has any other significance, but I may be wrong.

Phew, did I pass the exam?

What's next? The clocked, the overclocked and the async?
    Last edited by lynx; 05-26-2005 at 11:49 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park

EDIT Clocker, If you reading this,

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Naturally, I'm reading, but with Lynx around to do the heavy lifting, you don't need me.
    I will note one thing...
    Sport clockers will spend a fortune on RAM (TCCD, UTT, BH-5, etc) and then clock them to the extreme where the timings have to be relaxed to the point of absurdity.
    It is not uncommon to see timing in the range of 3,4,4,8 or worse.
    Memory performance will degrade but the OC will be impressive.
    Odd.

Also, most (I suspect ALL) 939 boards will only support 1T timing up to 2x512 modules.
    Try to run 4x512 and 2T will be necessary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Alright, So if that corsair ram that I picked out is ok? eaither link 2 or 3 in first post).
    Last edited by S!X; 05-26-2005 at 06:26 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have never tried Corsair ram, so I cannot really say.
    Someone here has probably installed some and might comment.

I have used Mushkin ( the Blue Line stuff is very capable and the new Red Line is supposed to be the bee's knees) and Patriot ( EP 512's, 2,3,2,5, 1T).

I would recommend either of them.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I have never tried Corsair ram, so I cannot really say.
    Someone here has probably installed some and might comment.

I have used Mushkin ( the Blue Line stuff is very capable and the new Red Line is supposed to be the bee's knees) and Patriot ( EP 512's, 2,3,2,5, 1T).

I would recommend either of them.
    Hmm.. This is gonna take more planning then I thought to figure out what parts you want

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ive decided that im gonna get 2 gigs of that corsair dual channel ram (PT) so it that gonna be like qual channel? lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I use the Corsair 2-3-3-6 stuff (like you had in your first link), slightly OC'd, and don't notice any performance problems (6.3GB/s throughput).

If you really want 2GB of memory, get a matched pair of 1GB sticks rather than 2 pairs of 512MB. Firstly it is cheaper, secondly it is faster (see clocker's comment about 2T above). AFAIK there's no such thing as quad channel (at the moment).
    Last edited by lynx; 05-27-2005 at 12:58 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I use the Corsair 2-3-3-6 stuff (like you had in your first link), slightly OC'd, and don't notice any performance problems (6.3GB/s throughput).

If you really want 2GB of memory, get a matched pair of 1GB sticks rather than 2 pairs of 512MB. Firstly it is cheaper, secondly it is faster (see clocker's comment about 2T above). AFAIK there's no such thing as quad channel (at the moment).
    haha, about that quad channel, yea it was a stupid question I'll check out that same ram that Im planning to get in a matched pair and see how much it is

EDIT: FUCK they dont have any but maybe they will sell them in seperate sticks

EDIT#2 FUCKx2 They dont have those in seperate 1 gig sticks... they would be expensive as one gig sticks anyways.
    Last edited by S!X; 05-27-2005 at 01:03 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast