Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: A moral too far ?

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Stopping, is what you are trying to do.

Expressing an opinion or lobbying is different, it is attempting to explain or influence. It does not stop people making up their own mind.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    You are wrong again.... I am expressing my opinion that they have no right.

Please feel free to tell us how I am stopping them

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    I said you would try to stop them. By denying them the right to express their view.

Obviously and thankfully you cannot actually do it.

Do you believe in freedom of expression.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I said you would try to stop them. By denying them the right to express their view.
    no you said I am trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaul
    Stopping, is what you are trying to do.
    Am i going to congress or the senate to change the law? No... so how am i trying to stop them?

I am not denying them the right to express their veiw, I am expressing my view that they shouldn't impose their values on others...and at this time in history they are actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Do you believe in freedom of expression.
    yes.... far more than these extremists do. I will fight for their freedom of speech, not their freedom of imposition. I will express my views but I will not impose them. if I felt I had the right to impose my morals on others I would pay to have a monument erected outside our courthouse next to the ten commandments that says "there is no god, stay within the law anyway"
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-29-2005 at 07:58 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    They are not imposing anything as I understand it.

They are expressing their opinion and lobbying lawmakers. That's the way it works.

You say they have no right to do this. How is that supporting freedom of expression

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    you need to read up on the present political situation in the USA.

By going to congress and pressuring the lawmakers they are wishing to impose their values not simply express them

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    you need to read up on the present political situation in the USA.

By going to congress and pressuring the lawmakers they are wishing to impose their values not simply express them
    It is no different in any Democracy. Everyone approaches their representative to try and get their point brought to the 'Floor Of The House'. Very few succeed. Only when you have a lot of representatives pushing the same point something happens.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Indeed, that's what the system of lobbying is designed for. Like minded people trying to influence politics.

It is freedom of expression in the same way as anything else is.

I too find their opinion wrong, we agree on that. However where we disagree is in whether they should be allowed to do it. I think freedom of expression includes that which I disagree with, else the system is wrong. Who is to arbitrate on which lobbies will be allowed.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    J2 i refer you to my previous posts

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    J2 I will re-word/re-phrase re-state one more time.

I see a difference between saying "My morals disagree with this" and "my morals disagree with this so I am going to try to change the law so you have to abide by my morals"..

I stated I AM EXPRESSING MY OPINION. I stated that they have no right to try to force their morals on me, this is my OPINION. I state my opinion yet I do not go to congress to try to make this opinion law.

Today we see actual lawmakers based on their religious morals trying to limit civil rights for others...newsflash... not every American shares those morals. I am not talking about the things that lawmakers should be ruling on...social security, the budget etc. I'm talking about personal freedoms, things government has no place interfering in.

So I made a distinction between freedom of speech and direct action. I AM STATING MY OPINION...not trying to change the law.... And the issue in this thread is about moral values.... it has nothing to do with the drugs safety, it has nothing to do with its effectiveness. It has to do with forcing moral values on others that don't share them. It has to do with interfering in peoples personal lives and in this particular case that interference could lead to someone dying of cervical cancer.

I will stand next to you and fight for your right to speak your mind even if I disagree with you, I will stand in your way if you try to force others to comply with your personal moral values. Do you see the difference?

If you wish people to follow your moral values do it by expressing your opinion and debate, convincing them, not by legislation. Our lawmakers could do with remembering what the word freedom means. They represent ALL Americans and not just the ones that voted them in.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-30-2005 at 04:04 PM.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast