Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you make a profit from this?

Can you make a profit building 400 - 500$ computers or is it possible to go even cheaper on ebay because I want to try it and if it doesn't work, i'll build me a website and maybe get some off that.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 06-01-2005 at 05:01 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    Can you make a profit building 400 - 500$ computers or is it possible to go even cheaper on ebay because I want to try it and if it doesn't work, i'll build me a website and maybe get some off that.
    Interesting idea... Im not an expert but I dont think it will work.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I always like to try something new and this is what im going to do if it works great!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    You'll lose out on the tech support (toll-free?) and bundled software

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    No it isn't possible.
    For you at least...Michael Dell figured out how to do it.

You'd need to buy everything in vast quantities and set yourself up as a MS Gold Partner and OPK your Windows installations.

Then you need a vast Indian tech support cadre, all trained to say "No, I'm sorry but you are out of warrantee and it's not our fault anyway."

It's difficult for the onesie-twosie builder to make much of a profit at the $1000-1500 level.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Bah im not gonna let you say that im still gonna do it, you saying it won't work just makes me want to try even harder. I WILL NOT FAIL! ^_^

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Thats the spirit...fly in the face of adversity...go get em matey....little acorns and all that...just make sure your acorn has all the relevant genes and nutrients to ensure growth, oh and don't forget that despite all that you do....one little squirrel could eat all your nuts if you don't keep an eye on him. Also, be aware that it doesn't take much for a big guy with an axe to come along and chop down all your hard work.

Still, if you want to, why not, even Mr Dell had to start somewhere.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    little acorns and all that...just make sure your acorn has all the relevant genes and nutrients to ensure growth, oh and don't forget that despite all that you do....one little squirrel could eat all your nuts if you don't keep an eye on him.
    Oh, I misunderstood.
    If he is selling PCs with nuts and squirrels included, that would make him a "niche retailer", a market segment that Dell ignores.
    Last edited by clocker; 06-02-2005 at 02:26 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Given the low cost of hardware and the amount of "discount" PCs available, this is most assuredly an exercise in futility.

For example, here in the US, the average person thinks it's "cheaper" to finance a PC(like a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) for $50 or so a month for 2 years then to dish out a lump sum of $400-500. They just see that low monthly payment and no large out-of-pocket expense.

This is not to mention that they expect support and/or a warranty after the sale.

Don't waste your money on such a fruitless adventure.

my .02¢

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    There are other factors you need to consider.

A typical scenario...

Customer: "I'm interested in a computer to play games like Doom3".

Clocker: (after a half hour detailing the specs necessary to do this....) "Figure $1500, depending on how you spec it out."

Customer: "But I can get a computer at Sam's Club for $500!".

You see the problem?
    To most people, a computer is a computer. Sure, the box might be a different color, but they all do the same thing, right?
    When he asked for a "gaming PC", all he thought that meant was that there would be a hole (somewhere on the box...don't much care where) to stick the round, silver disk thingie.

Beyond that it's all magic.

Oh yeah...he'll want an "Intel".
    Not a clue what it is, but he wants it.
    Because it's better.
    Everybody knows this.

Don't forget the bundled software.
    Oh no, can't leave that out.

Most people think that MS Office is part of the OS.
    If you install just plain ole XP Home OEM they think your ripping them off and are pissed. Where's Norton? AOL?
    How the hell am I supposed to manage this?

Finally, whatever you do, DO NOT forget the icons!
    The public is totally lost without them, helplessly wandering all over the Bliss desktop field, desperately searching for a way to DO SOMETHING!
    (...they will quickly tire of emptying the Recycle Bin and become cranky...)

We find it's helpful to create an icon called "My Ass".
    For many people this is the only sure way they can find it.
    Last edited by clocker; 06-02-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast