Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a look at my final history essay :D

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    After many weeks im finally done my history ISU on Why Hitler lost the Battle of Stalingrad.

Please have a look and tell me what you think, any constructive critisizm is welcomed, considering its worth 10% of my final grade. Its about 1700 words, which is alot for me, but its worth it.

Stalingrad Essay June 6th 2005 Andrew Smith

By June of 1942, WWII had been raging on across Europe for approximately two

and a half years. Hitler now had Russia in his sights. At this time, the city of

Stalingrad itself was not on Hitler’s agenda, but Caucasus, which held 70% of

Russia’s oil production and 63% of its natural gas was a main target. “We knew

than in two years time, that is by the end of 1942, beginning of 1943, the English

would be ready, the Americans would be ready, the Russians would be ready

too, and then we would have to deal with all three of them at the same time….we

had to try to remove the greatest threat from the east…. At the time it seemed

possible.” This battle was important because it was the first major battle in which

Hitler lost suffered major losses. It would be the turning point in the war, and it

would lead to the downfall of the Nazi power. It was also important because

Stalingrad held many factories that could be used for Nazi supplies. To

understand why Hitler lost the war; we have to understand the reasons why Hitler

lost the battle that started the loosing streak. The reasons why Hitler lost the

Battle of Stalingrad were the failure to re supply the 6th army with the Luftwaffe,

Hitler’s obsession with “Stalin’s City and Russian snipers.

After Russia had encircled the German 6th army at Stalingrad, Hitler had the

Army Group Don, under the command of Field Marshal von Manstien, come up

with a relief mission in which the Luftwaffe would use JU-52’s and HE-111’s to

drop the required 700 tons per day of ammunition, clothing, food and general

supplies to the surrounded soldiers. "My Luftwaffe is invincible...And so now we

turn to England. How long will this one last - two, three weeks?" This quote was

not from Stalingrad, but it proves my thesis because the Germans saw their air

force as superior to everyone else’s. Hitler thought it could do anything he

wanted it to do, even though the airlift at Stalingrad was impossible. Many of

Hitler’s officials warned him that it would be impossible to supply that many

supplies in that amount of time, mostly because the bulk of the German transport

planes were in Africa. The plan was revised and soon the required amount was

pushed down to 500 tons of supplies per day. This plan was impossible in the

first place for a few reasons. First the cold Russian winters could affect the

airplanes so they wouldn’t start, or would stall in mid flight. Because of this the

Germans could only supply 94 tons of the needed 300 tons per day. The most

successful part of the relief mission was from the 19th to the 21st of December,

when the Germans supplied 700 tons of supplies over three days. To make

things worse the Russian Army continued to widen the space between German

airports and the 6th army and installed increasing numbers of anti-aircraft guns in

that space. So for each run the planes had to carry more fuel and fewer

supplies. For example the supply airfields at Tazinskaya and Morosovskaya were

captured on the 22nd of December, this made the transport planes fly 60 extra

miles every run. In the end Marshal von Manstein gave up on the relief mission

on the 23rd of December. In conclusion, if Hitler had re supplied his army then he

would have probably been able to fight off the Russians. But he didn’t and

because of that his air force was crushed and the 6th army was forced to

surrender. Because of this failed relief mission the 6th army was split in two, the

north and south pocket. The south pocket was forced to surrender on the 31st of

January, and the north surrendered on the 3rd of February.

Hitler’s saw the Russians as inferior people; he thought that they would crumble

once he attacked. Hitler never thought that they would be able to put up a fight.

Hitler’s ego got in his way, it clouded his judgment and therefore Hitler’s

obsession with taking “Stalin’s City” would cause him to loose thousands of

troops, and it would be the beginning of the end of the war. Hitler never really

wanted Stalingrad in his summer plans he was just going for the oil rich

Caucasus. But he changed his mind because it was the city of Stalin and if

captured it would lower Russian morale. He only wanted the city because it was

“Stalin’s City”. Hitler’s obsession with this city would cloud his judgment, and taint

his planning. For example the 4th Panzer Army was useless inside the city

because the streets were narrow so there was no room for them to move around.

They would get stuck and be easy targets for the Russian anti-tank units. This

could have been avoided if Hitler was to plan more, but he wanted the city then,

not in a few weeks. Because of this engineers were sent in to remove roadblocks

and piles of rubble “Since the operations proposed for the relief of Sixth Army

cannot be successful, it is decisive that orders for a break-out be issued. This

must be done at once. The last possible moment has arrived.” But Hitler would

not let them break through, he wanted the city at all costs. If Hitler hadn’t been so

stubborn, he could have saved many lives. Hitler was so obsessed with the city

that he sent poorly equipped Germans, not prepared for the cold winters and with

inferior weapons to fight anyway. He also used the Luftwaffe to support the 6th

army even when Hitler’s generals and officers advised against it. It got so bad

that after the 6th army was surrounded the Russians sent a surrender request to

Hitler, but he refused, two days later the Russians heavily assaulted the

Germans from three sides. Hitler ordered to fight to the last man. In the end, out

of desperation Hitler promoted Paulus to Field Marshal in hopes that he would

fight to the death or take his own life, because no German Field Marshal had

ever been taken alive. If Hitler hadn’t been so obsessed with the city, and thought

more about his plan he might have won. He let his ego get in his way, and it

tainted his thinking. If he had not ignored the Russian strength and actually

thought they would have been a challenge, he might have planned it

out more and done a better job.

Snipers like Vasily Zaitsev were vastly read about in newspapers. They would be

a major role in Stalingrad. They offered morale boosts for the soldiers, and took

out important targets such as German officers and lieutenants. One example of

this was the Vasily Zaitsev story. Vasily Zaitsev was the onetime shepherd who

had perfected his marksmanship hunting deer in the Ural foothills. He joined the

army when he was 26, and became a sniper in Stalingrad. Vasily Zaitsev had

killed at least 40 Germans in ten days. The Germans got worried, so to combat

this they sent SS Colonel Heinz Thorwald, a teacher at an elite sniper school in

Berlin to take care of Zaitsev. He followed the Colonel for two days before his

instructor came with him. His instructor saw him when they were camping and

moved and was hit. Zaitsev tells the story of how he got the Colonel:

"For a long time I examined the enemy positions, but could not detect his hiding place. To the left was a tank, out of action, and on the right was a pillbox. Where was he? In the tank? No, an experienced sniper would not take up position there. In the pillbox, perhaps? Not there, either - the embrasure was closed. Between the tank and the pillbox, on a stretch of level ground, lay a sheet of iron and a small pile of broken bricks. It had been lying there a long time and we had grown accustomed to its being there. I put myself in the enemy's position and thought - where better for a sniper? One had only to make a firing slit under the sheet of metal, and then creep up to it during the night."

The next day he was out again, he put a helmet on a piece of sheet metal and

raised it. The Colonel shot at it and hit it, thinking he had killed Zaitsev he yelled

out in joy. Zaitsev aimed and fired one shot into the Colonels head. By the end of

the war it is said that Zaitsev killed over 149 Germans. Snipers were important in

Stalingrad because there stories boosted soldiers morale, and they took out

German officers and lieutenants.

The reasons why Hitler lost the Battle of Stalingrad were the failure to re supply

the 6th army with the Luftwaffe, Hitler’s obsession with “Stalin’s City”, and

Russian snipers. He chose to ignore his officers in the field and relied instead on

his Generals to bolster his own ego in this war. "The disaster of Stalingrad

profoundly shocked the German people and armed forces alike...Never before in

Germany's history had so large a body of troops come to so dreadful an end." This

proves that the Germans did not count on loosing so bad, they thought they

would triumph with in weeks. But they didn’t, they lost because of many different

reasons. Hitler refused to let any of his army surrender and ordered they fight

until the last man was standing. Because of Hitler’s obsession, his infantry was

ill-equipped to deal with the extreme winter temperatures and the German tanks

and machinery were also no match for the Russian winter. It cost Hitler the war

because it was the first battle in which Hitler lost major in. Hitler lost all of his 6th

army, and he needed it to fight on other fronts. Through it all, his men were

dropping dead from starvation and the stress of non-stop fighting. The Luftwaffe

supply runs where the defeat of the German air force and the snipers played a

major role. Although this battle only lasted one year, the casualties were

extremely high. The Russian army lost over half a million men and the civilian

death toll ran in the tens of thousands. The battle for Stalingrad was a turning

point in the war.
    wHAT DO YOU think?
    Last edited by Smith; 06-05-2005 at 07:21 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Retired
    Looks nice, dunno if all the facts are real
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 06-05-2005 at 07:18 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Let us hope the marker is not of Scottish, Irish or Welsh descent.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    Looks nice, dunno if all the facts are real

No, i made it all up, there was never a battle of Stalingrad.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    were you perchance watching 'enemy at the gates' whilst creating this? at least you left out the bit about Vasily being a young english chappie and the Colonel being american

oh and just saw JP's remarks you do know that english is not the same as British all you americans are the same, you all think that
    Last edited by (>Zero Cool<); 06-05-2005 at 09:30 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Info for TehCanuck:

Wales and Ireland are separate from the barbarous English/Scottish alliance, The McBannockburn clan joined forces with English pirates in days of yore and annexed Scotland for the pleasure of plump Londoners who'd grown too hot because of the rigours of decadent living.

Even today Danny Baker and Alfie Moon are free to roam in the Scottish gloaming as they see fit.
    Last edited by manker; 06-05-2005 at 09:50 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    EDIT: Actually Manker wrote all the fictitious, correctly spelt and boring stuff in the text below...I just added the smilies and fecked up the quotage ...so all credit/blame should go to him..........burn him at the stake i say

Info for TehCanuck:

Wales and Ireland are separate from the barbarous English/Scottish alliance, The McBannockburn clan joined forces with English pirates in days of yore and annexed Scotland for the pleasure of plump Londoners who'd grown too hot because of the rigours of decadent living.

Even today Danny Baker and Alfie Moon are free to roam in the Scottish gloaming as they see fit I thought that was part of our punishment
    Last edited by (>Zero Cool<); 06-05-2005 at 10:29 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by (>Zero Cool<)
    Info for TehCanuck:

Even today Danny Baker and Alfie Moon are free to roam in the Scottish gloaming as they see fit I thought that was part of our punishment

I had the exact same idea for a post not ten minutes ago. Wish I'd done it now 'cause that was really quite good
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #9

Urgent

Stalingrad Essay June 6th 2005 Andrew Smith *better title?

ByJune of 1942, WWII had been raging on across Europe for approximately two *Starting withBy ithink is naughty english,WWII abreviation...

and a half years. Hitler now had Russia in his sights. At this time, the city of

Stalingrad itself was not on Hitler’s agenda, buthowever the Caucasus, which held 70% of

Russia’s oil production and 63% of its natural gas was a main target.
    “ We knew

thaT in two years time, that is by the end of 1942 and beginning of 1943, the English

would be ready , the Americans would be ready, and the Russians would be ready

too , and then we would have to deal with all three of them at the same time….we

had to try to remove the greatest threat from the east…. At the time it seemed

possible.”QUOTE BY WHOM???? did you quote this correctly its actually a really crappy quote mabe leave for later
    This (which battle??) battle was important strategically vital because since it was the first major battle in which

Hitler lost suffered major losses. It would be the turning point in the war, and it

would lead to the downfall of the Nazi power.
    It (IT?) was also important because

Stalingrad held many factories that could be used for Nazi supplies.
    (put this line in later) To

understand why Hitler lost the war; we have to understand the reasons why Hitler

lost the battle that started the loosing streak.

etc
    etc
    more paragraphs?
    Last edited by 99%; 06-05-2005 at 10:24 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by (>Zero Cool<)
    Info for TehCanuck:

I had the exact same idea for a post not ten minutes ago. Wish I'd done it now 'cause that was really quite good

ehm oops... kinda messed up the quotage ...fecking danny baker keeps ringing my doorbell trying to swap his daz

edit: fixed....sorta... credit where credit is due
    Last edited by (>Zero Cool<); 06-05-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast