Thread: Copy And Paste Guides...

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Most of the guides on this forum are copy and paste jobs,often cobbled together from numerous sources, I don't have a problem with this...the guides are very helpful to new members, and I respect the effort put forth by the members who post tutorials. However, I feel that original sources should be quoted. (It's rarely done...and it's a shame )

Peace Paul
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 07-04-2005 at 03:39 PM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    yep
    I have goggled my kvcd guide & it amazes me how many people jacked it without giving credit

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Should we have this as a Rule of Thumb or something?

I like to have links to the original guide thought, you knoe, to see where it comes from.

I see this copy/paste only as a good thing as sometimes some sites/plases where the
    guiades are goes down, this way the info stays on the net, hehe.
    Spoiler: Show

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    These are the standards I've set for myself in my guides from the outset:

My guides are all my own work, based on my own experience. If you write a guide, you should know your subject. Cut n' paste plagiarism don't cut it.

If any external reference materials are used, quote it so there's a clear division between your words and someone else's. Include a link to the original source. If linking isn't possible, give credit to the author(s) at the end of the relevant section.

If anyone responds to a guide with extra info, update the original post where necessary and give credit to the contributor below thier input, or at the end of the guide.

...and that's my 2¢

Edit: Maybe we should make a guide making guide?
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 07-04-2005 at 06:46 PM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    These are the standards I've set for myself in my guides from the outset:

My guides are all my own work, based on my own experience. If you write a guide, you should know your subject. Cut n' paste plagiarism don't cut it.

If any external reference materials are used, quote it so there's a clear division between your words and someone elses. Include a link to the original source. If linking isn't possible, give credit to the author(s) at the end of the relevant section.

If anyone responds to a guide with extra info, update the original post where necessary and give credit to the contributor below thier input, or at the end of the guide.

...and that's my 2¢
    I completely agree wiht you.
    My guide(s) (http://tvg.pinecurtain.net) are all written by me, apart from teh themes section which was written mostly by imartin (and he got his credit at the bottom of the page).

The stuff I copy/pasted from another site, i put in quotes, and put the author's name. It's just not right to do it any other way. example: http://tvg.pinecurtain.net/index.php...p/Tweaks#icons
    Last edited by tesco; 07-04-2005 at 06:47 PM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    You can tell who wrote their own ,those are the posts I appreciate the most. Spelling errors and all the warts.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    yep
    I have goggled my kvcd guide & it amazes me how many people jacked it without giving credit
    Ive seen this also with mine and although its a bit annoying I really dont care as it just seems the nature of the net although as a board we should show these common courtesies and values as mentioned.

Maybe we should make a guide making guide?
    I think you just have...

Last edited by RealitY; 07-05-2005 at 06:26 AM.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    Maybe we should make a guide making guide?
    I think you just have...

Damn, you're right - I hate it when that happens...

Afronaut is onto something with the "guide mirroring" concept too.
    As long as we can get the original author's permission, its a great idea, imo.
    - FST gets another guide ...and maybe a boost with the almighty Google.
    - A guide gets a free mirror.
    - Everybody wins.