Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Sir' Bob

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Would it not be a good idea to introduce some form of birth control into these countries.
    You need to speak to the Pope on that one BB.

Does anyone find it sort of hypocritical tha Bono is one of the front men of the live8 thing to wipe out disease, famine, Aids and debt in Africa when he is very cosy with the Pope who, as we know, thinks condoms are the devils work and as such the Catholic church has outlawed them?

I personally can't think of a better place to start when it comes to tackling Aids & HIV.
    I was on the line to him but he hung up when he heard that I knew JP. His secretary said that he was paranoid that JP was after his job.

Seriously though I dont think it can be put down to one religion. China was not exactly overrun with Catholics and look at how its population went out of control. There are a lot of places in Africa where you are allowed countless wives. Things like that need to be controlled too.

How about sending over Michael Caine?
    Last edited by bigboab; 06-09-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I'm not talking about over population though, I am talking about the spread of Aids. The only birth control device apart from abstinence that can prevent the spread of Aids is condoms.

The US Govt. and assocaited companies are pushing their aid programmes/missionairies (whatever you call them) out there so much to spread abstinence instead that they are not even allowed to give out condoms.

see here
    Last edited by DanB; 06-09-2005 at 05:49 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    I'm not talking about over population though, I am talking about the spread of Aids. The only birth control device apart from abstinence that can prevent the spread of Aids is condoms.

The US Govt. and assocaited companies are pushing their aid programmes/missionairies (whatever you call them) out there so much to spread abstinence instead that they are not even allowed to give out condoms.

see here
    Short of cutting one off and stitching the other up they could put something in the water.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab

see here
    Short of cutting one off and stitching the other up they could put something in the water.
    Thats one hell of a lot of bromide in one hell of a lot of water.

which some of the places have a shortage of

Last edited by DanB; 06-09-2005 at 05:56 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15

I thought it was just the army that used Bromide. By the way, it has started to work now.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16

I thought it was just the army that used Bromide. By the way, it has started to work now.
    I think you'll find the Prison Service do too

Somewhat delayed effects ay BB? Means I have a sometime till mine kicks in

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    One story I found

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...urce=PA%20Feed

and another which offers the idea I was putting across

In a growing Catholic population like Africa, the need for the church to relax its stance on birth control-particularly condoms, in the fight against AIDS-has been a point of contention from outside the church and among Catholics themselves. In Idaho, the need isn't perhaps so obvious, but it remains an issue as people think about their faith and the direction of their church, perhaps a symptom of the divide between doctrine and social realities.
    Source

I do not know about the demographic spread but I do know that in the last 35 years the greatest increase in Catholic population in that time has been in Africa, which, while making up only 13 percent of the world's Catholics, has more than doubled its percentage in the past three decades.

You can chuck all the money you want at something but if infected people are going to have sex without protection the disease will never be eradicated

Dan

I take your point and think that condoms should be freely available to everyone in Africa, including the Catholic population.

I just sometimes get confused when every time population / hiv is discussed the Pope seems to be singled out for special mention. Even when he has influence over a relatively small percentage of the population. I suspect that some of the 15% make their own decisions re these matters anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12