Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CPU parts?!?!?

Poster
    im looking into getting some new parts for my computer and upgrading to a certain extent, heres wat i have so far for upgrade parts:

Mobo:
    DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - Retail

Harddrive:
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Memory:
    GeIL Value 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) With Extreme Performance Heat Spreader System Memory - OEM

Case:
    A-TOP XBlade AT859A-BK Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail

Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
    We all seek peace, but few of us will ever find it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    You might want to think about using the 939 AMD Athlon 3000+, of course that means you'll have to look for another mainboard too....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    What are you planning on doing with this computer... and 80gb is a bit small, I have trouble keeping my 120 from filling up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    my major goal of this computer is to game and other just basic stuff. nothing to heavy except for a couple games here and there. ill look into the other processor type and see what i can find about them! and the reason for the 80 gigs is because i already have a 120 in my computer now so this will just be like another extra hardrive for me.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Go Antec, Thermaltake or PCpower & cooling for PSU. DON'T go cheapo!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    If you want gaming, I suggest a gig of ram, and maybe a pci express graphics card, whats your budget

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    TheNobleEU's Avatar Post Count Slacker
    If you're going to buy a new machine, it's always best to buy the most recent technology available today, since this will cause you minimal upgrade headaches down the road.

That said, as several others have mentioned, what you have listed is already outdated and won't run the latest games with full blast settings. I don't believe you need a socket 940 (no one does unless they are running a server) 939 is indeed the way to go, IMHO.

We're gambling that PCI-E is going to make it. If you don't feel comfortable with the SLI gamble, you can safely go AGP 8x (that said there are adapters for PCI-E -> AGP).

On PSUs...

From what I have been reading, the importance of the power supply unit (PSU) is not measured in its total wattage, but how many amps it can supply for use by the machine on the 12+ rail.

Especially for graphical corruption, most on the forums over at e.g., nvidia and anantec will immediately call you to task for having a PSU that doesn't supply at least 20 amps to a new generation machine running a 64 CPU with a recent graphics card (GeForce6 generation and the x800+ ATIs). It's become apocryphal that "manufacturers recommend at least 20 amps for use with the new (especially PCI-E) cards" ...although when called to present proof of this no one steps forward.

I don't believe this is the case, since I have a Thermaltake 420 PSU with 18 amps on the 12 rail, and never had any problems.

Just a word of warning that you shouldn't go crazy buying a 600W PSU, since it is possible to buy a high-end (and very expensive, PSUs aren't cheap) unit around 480W that supplies like 15 amps.

Cheers,
    -Noble
    (Who otherwise still believes you get what you pay for)

3500+ Athalon 64
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    1 gig Samsung DDR400
    Gigabyte 6600GT Turboforce 128 PCI-E
    Maxtor 160 SATA, 200 SATA, WD 200 IDE, etc.
    Thermaltake Xaser III Viking & Thermaltake Purepower 420W PSU

2.66 Intel P4
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    1 gig Samsung DDR400
    ATI 9600XT 128 AGP
    Audigy 2 ZS & Creative T7700 Dolby 5.1 & Surround 7.1
    WD160 IDE, WD 200 IDE, etc.
    Last edited by TheNobleEU; 06-10-2005 at 04:37 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    thanx noble ima look into the parts you listed and see if i can come up with something!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    I disagree with the "buy the latest available kit" philosophy, that is the most expensive way to equipment.

There are 2 situations to consider.

1) Will you want to upgrade in the near future? This is the usual thing for regular upgraders. In this situation you would want technology which will be upgradeable for some time, but not necessarily pay top prices. You need to wait until the "latest" kit is a few months old and the prices have dropped to "normal" levels.

2) Are you going to keep this system as it is for quite some time? If this is the case, why do you need the latest stuff? It will not be the latest in 6 months in any case. Better to buy the stuff that's been out for a few months, save a lot of money and also have proven firmware/drivers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNobleEU
    If you're going to buy a new machine, it's always best to buy the most recent technology available today, since this will cause you minimal upgrade headaches down the road.

Disagree there as well, if you wanted to most recent technology you would have to spent £1500+ on some P4 with dual 6800GT's and such.

Where as for at least half the price you could get sometime like a AMD 64 bit which is far more kitted up for the future, sure it might be good to go the extra mile on the graphics card, Ram and PSU but for CPU & motherboard i would always look for decent proforming cheaper models that are ready to imbrace 64bit world and newer CPU's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast