Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barebone Kit

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Anyone think it would be hard for me to make a computer using barebone...Im only 14 but i have some knoledge as to whats going on someone wanna help me if i did get one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    IT would be a little bit easier then having to put everything together. And yes were always here to help.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Help is only a key stroke away ! Just explain what your looking for and your budget. Gamer ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    SFF barebones rawk.

There is one problem with a lot of kits, though: space.

You might have a hard time fitting everything in there, as it can be a bit of a puzzle, and there's only so much room for you to put what you want in there. And it may also be a bit tricky to put it all together as you may at times need to reach into small spaces to connect cables as such. (I am speaking from experience here.) Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.

Generally speaking I'd recommend someone have picked apart a couple of computers before they buy a shuttle or something else that's small.

Lastly, regarding what's negative about it, you might not be able to fit any other model of mobo, apart from the one that's in the kit, in the case.

Otherwise barebones are brilliant IMO, I'd recommend something like a shuttle sn25p if you can afford it, but shuttle, iwill, and others make some other decent machines as well.

If you already have a socket A processor looking for a new home, I can recommend the sn45g, 'tis in my experience a brilliant machine, except from the small matter of not being able to alter the ram voltages on later revisions (it may kill your mobo if you have the option and you try doing it).

The psus are usually rated at what people would call a low wattage, but the wattage rating is deceptive (usually), when it comes to what the machine can actually handle.

If you want something close to the size of the small ones, but with better compatibility, you could put something together from an antec aria, paired with a mATX mobo of your choosing.

I'd also have a look here: http://forums.sudhian.com/ for information, and possibly advice.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-12-2005 at 12:30 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.
    IWILL does.
    I didn't get that we were talking about a SFF system from the original post.
    "Barebones" doesn't denote size does it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Nope. Barebone systems come in all sizes.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just as I suspected.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Help is only a key stroke away ! Just explain what your looking for and your budget. Gamer ?
    Thanks...I dno what could i get at best for cheapesti want a cool case though preferably with window so some time in future i could add neons once i learn how to...also i have an existing pentium 3 856mhz but i dought i should use that processor in a new barebone so what could i get for cheapest but good quality

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.
    IWILL does.
    Yeah, I knew that, I just posted about the type of barebones I like. As a recommendation, like. [I probably should have been more clear about that, so I apologize for any confusion.]

I didn't know about that iwill btw, that's cool.

@suprafreak: Going in the same direction as before, ie sff, the shuttle sv25 was supposedly a good machine according to some, dunno' where to buy one, or another socket 370 bb though.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-12-2005 at 09:54 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Plenty to choose from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

If you could provide us with a price range, size or type of case and processor preference or any other preferences then you could help you choose.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast