Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyson quits boxing after defeat

Tyson quits boxing after defeat

Tyson v McBride photos

Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson said he will quit boxing after losing to Irish journeyman Kevin McBride in Washington on Saturday.
    Tyson looked far from comfortable during his fight which many expected him to win, and referee Joe Cortez stopped the fight before round seven.

McBride, from Monaghan, was awarded the bout on a technical knockout.

"I'm not going to fight again. I haven't got the fighting guts or the heart any more," said the 38-year-old.

Tyson, who has a record of 50 wins, including 44 knockouts, six defeats and two no-contests, said he did not want to disgrace the sport.

This win was for the pride of Ireland

Kevin McBride

"I was just fighting to pay off the bills," he added. "I'm not an animal anymore."

Referee Cortez halted the bout after a manic sixth round.

Tyson was penalised two points for a head-butt that opened a cut under McBride's left eye.

McBride then had Tyson against the ropes and pushed him to the canvas, where he remained until after the bell rang.

Tyson returned to his stool only for trainer Jeff Fenech signalled to the referee that his boxer would be unable to continue.

All Tyson has to do is get a new trainer, re-focus himself and he will be champion again

From Paul

Have your say on Five Live

Two judges had Tyson leading 57-55 after six rounds while the third had the 32-year-old McBride ahead by the same margin.

"He's a tough warrior," the 32-year-old McBride said of Tyson.

"He's perhaps one of the greatest warriors of all time. I just got him at the right time."

McBride picked up just £80,000 for beating Tyson, who received £2.75m.

"I don't know if it's the end of the road for Mike Tyson, but it sure is the start of the road for me," said McBride.

"This win was for the pride of Ireland. I proved everyone wrong."

Sauce : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4084744.stm

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I sucks to see Tysons career end like this. Sadly though, this is how so many boxers end their careers. They fight until they get beaten several times. All the greats have ended in this way. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield, Louis, and now Tyson.

yo

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I don't reckon his career is over - he's in debt and while his name still draws $1million+ purses then he'll continue fighting and making 'stars' of journeymen like Danny Williams and now McBride.

It's a shame but money talks.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I don't like him and I hope his career is genuinely over now.

In fact as far as I'm concerned it was effectively over when Cus DAmato was no longer looking after him.
    Last edited by JPaul; 06-12-2005 at 07:32 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Didn't Cus D'Amato die before Tyson became World Champion, tho'.

Whatever you think of the man, he was a superb pugalist.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    I believe you are right. He died before Tyson won it.

However I remain of the opinion that it was him who made Tyson. I believe that had he lived then he would have been able to have control him and that he would have been the greatest boxer ever.

As it is we will remember the rapist, the wife beater, the bankrupt mentalist.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It is unfortunate that we'll remember Tyson like that. He's still the best heavyweight I've watched live.

Still, I'm not so sure that D'Amato would have been able to control him after Tyson made his millions. Keeping a watchful eye on an angry young man with no money, using financial gain as a motivating factor to reward his dedication, is one thing. Restraining a millionaire manic depressive is another entirely. I don't think Tyson would have listened to him as much once he'd become 'The Baddest Man on the Planet'.

Tyson was/is a horribly flawed individual who would have ended up this way no matter what.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Finally something we all agree on. Tyson was at his best in the years following the death of Cus D'Amato. He still had Kevin Rooney in his corner when he became champion. We have Don King to thank for what became of him, and I for one hope he gets his one day. I'm tired of the talk I see that Mike Tyson was not that good.. blah blah. nobody could have beat Tyson around the time he won his belts. I honestly believe that. Yes, most of us watch now because we keep hoping we will see some of that flash he had a young adult, the rest watch to see what he will do next. As for me, I'm content to remember the day he beat Trevor Berbick, and started his reign as the top Heavyweight
    Last edited by RPerry; 06-15-2005 at 06:14 AM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Tyson was/is a horribly flawed individual who would have ended up this way no matter what.
    I'm not so sure about that.

If reports are to be believed DAmato was like a trainer, mentor and Father rolled into one. I think his loss had a great deal to do with Tyson going of the rails.

Both directly as a response to the loss and indirectly because he was no longer the buffer between Tyson and people like King.

Sadly we will never know, but I think he would have been the best ever. He was certainly unbeatable in his prime.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm just glad I got to see him fight. I went to the Tyson/McNeely (first fight after prison) fight and I've got a t-shirt to prove it.
    Last edited by Skizo; 06-12-2005 at 09:28 PM.

yo

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast