Thread: Ethernet gave up..

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I have an Asus A7n8x-e deluxe motherboard with a nvidia lan and marvell ethernet controller which I connected to my router, its worked fine upto now but It started disconnecting itself, it got worse the more volume of traffic it was using so I tried updating the drivers but now I have no connectivity at all I just get network cable unplugged, I've tried another cable but get the same result, theres also 2 connections on my router for the cable when I plug into 1 I get 1 led light on my ethernet connection at the pc and when I plug in the other I get none, I dont think its my router because it does the same when I connect to my laptop, Ive also heard that your not meant to use a crossover cable from a pc to a router????

Any help appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    First off, you need a straight through cable between pc and router. Cross-over is usually for pc-to-pc or hub-to-hub connection. You didn't say which you've got.

Assuming your cable is ok, then if you get the same problem on both the Nvidia and Marvell ports I suggest your router may be at fault.

Remember that the amount of traffic going through your router is small compared the the capacity of the Nvidia port, and hardly worth mentioning wrt the Marvell port, so the only thing that's going to notice a greatly increased amount is your router. What router are you using? Again, you haven't mentioned what you've got, there could be known issues.

Your description of what happens with the leds makes me almost certain that the problem is either the cable or the router. What happens if you run the cable between the pc and the laptop?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I have the same mobo and the ethernet port went on that within a year

I ended up purchasing a Linksys NIC and it's been great My advice would be to buy an NIC - they're dirt cheap anyway

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    I have the same mobo and the ethernet port went on that within a year

I ended up purchasing a Linksys NIC and it's been great My advice would be to buy an NIC - they're dirt cheap anyway
    I've got the same board too (A7N8E deluxe), there are ethernet 2 ports.

It is unlikely they've both gone wrong at the same time and give different results on different router ports.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Your description of what happens with the leds makes me almost certain that the problem is either the cable or the router.
    Youve hit the nail right on the head in fact it was both it would appear that one of the 2 lan ports on the router had packed in which went gradually, I got hold of a crossover cable from work which I use to connect my laptop to my work pc wrongly assuming that theres only one type of lan cable anyway I pissed about all day yesterday with it on the understanding that this cable was ok cos my laptop worked with it
    I read your posts and bought a straight through cable today got it home still no joy, tried it in another port and jobs sorted.
    My router came as part of my BB isp account so I may ask them to change it even though I dont really need anymore lan connections

Cheers for that I could'nt do it with ya'll