Thread: Getting shows off an HD box

Got some hd boxes and I wanted to know if there is a way to get any recorded programs off it. They got some usb and some other different types of hookups on em.

I couldnt find anything on google. TIA
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darkbooty's Avatar Dirt Farmer
    My brother in law does this with his Tivo, although I'm not entirely sure how. I think what he does is use a linux box to mount the tivo's drive, and then just rips them to his linux box. I think he also said he uses some program to convert them from whatever drm encrypted file format they're in to some other file format. I'll ask him tonight and report back.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Geesh, you might get some answers if you were to provide more info...

"hd box"... What the fuck is that supposed to be?

Do you have some hard-drives?

or

Do you have a Tivo?

or

Do you have a Replay TV box?

or

Do you have some other brand of PVR?

How the fuck do you expect to get any answers if you don't tell anyone what you're dealing with?

Chances are, whatever you have, the hard-drive(s) inside will run some form of Linux.

And yes, you will have to rip that data and possibly crack whatever form of DRM is used.

If you don't understand Linux then forget about doing this yourself.

My .02¢
    Last edited by harrycary; 06-13-2005 at 11:44 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary

or

Do you have a Tivo?

or

or

How the fuck do you expect to get any answers if you don't tell anyone what you're dealing with?

Chances are, whatever you have, the hard-drive(s) inside will run some form of Linux.

And yes, you will have to rip that data and possibly crack whatever form of DRM is used.

My .02¢
    Didnt need "fucking" ".02¢".

An HD (4th one) box is for HD tv. Would have said TiVo if it was TiVo and so on. But anyways...

Found this. I dont have a mac though. Just need to find a way to emulate Firewire SDK 18 on a pc. Ill prob just buy a cheap-o mac or something.
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 06-14-2005 at 08:10 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5

or

Do you have a Tivo?

or

or

My .02¢

To people who know about the type of stuff he's talking about the info he gave was good enough to be honest.

@Singa - There is no such thing as a cheap Mac, as Mac's have no real compition for what they are best at (Video editing and photo editing i've heard) they charge stupid prices. £1000 ($2000) for a 1.4Ghz

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy

or

Do you have a Tivo?

or

or

My .02¢

To people who know about the type of stuff he's talking about the info he gave was good enough to be honest.

@Singa - There is no such thing as a cheap Mac, as Mac's have no real compition for what they are best at (Video editing and photo editing i've heard) they charge stupid prices. £1000 ($2000) for a 1.4Ghz
    Yea, i dont need one for video editing though :\

This application, like the other software used in this article, is freely available from the Internet. Playing back HD isn't lightweight work for the processor. Our 1.5GHz Powerbook was using 100% CPU just to playback the video, and even then it was still struggling. I would speculate that playback is spotty on anything shy of a 1GHz G4 (recording however can be performed on considerably less powerful machines).

Anyone looking to sell an old crappy mac thats got firewire?
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 06-14-2005 at 03:03 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Let's get this straight.

I understand that HD can stand for "harddrive" or "high-definition."

But, in the context in which SingaBoiy wrote, it sounds like a PVR.

For those who don't know, a PVR is a "personal video recorder." (i.e. Tivo, Replay TV, etc)

A PVR has a hard-drive in it. But I understand that a lot of mfg run a form of Linux on these hard-drives. Research into your model is advisable.

So, I ask my question again.

What do you have? Brand? Model?

Exactly what kind of output connectors does it have? (HDMI, DVI, S-video, composite video, RGB, coax digital, optical digital)

I don't mean to come off as an ass, but without this little bit of info, I can't be of much help.

I use to get the same kind of lame questions from my customers and oddly, just like in this thread, I would have to ask the same the question(s) again.

Going back to your dilemma, removing the harddrives may be the best way to pull the data off them. I did a quick search and found this, which may enlighten you...http://pvr.digitalinsurrection.com/t...ve_upgrade.php. This isn't exactly what your looking for but gives insight into PVRs in general.

Post more info and I'd be glad to help guide you.