Thread: IE7 to be more secure ?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    The next version of Microsoft's much criticized Internet Explorer browser is being built to resist hijacking attempts by spyware and other malicious software, according to a Microsoft developer.

Rob Franco, lead program manager for IE Security at Microsoft, wrote in a blog entry on Thursday that Internet Explorer 7 for Longhorn will contain a feature called "low rights IE." The feature essentially removes administrator rights, so that the system will not allow unknown applications, such as spyware and other potentially dangerous code, to be installed without express permission from the user.

Link: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5745044.html

Too little too late me thinks !

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    It is like any other topic of considerable controversy, debate or interest... unless there is a general concern or outcry for change, it will otherwise fly "under the radar".

The change in Microsoft's critically acclaimed web browser is merely another sign of the times.

However, this being good news of course.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ya bud its like Symantec 's news today . Same thing , Intrusion-Prevention ?
    Sounds interesting . I think its just for Enterprise or corp versions tho.

http://informationweek.com/story/sho...leID=164302702
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-14-2005 at 11:56 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    ids has long been avaialable try something like snort http://www.snort.org/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Very high-end enterprise products, I would wager. What they fail to mention is whether this technology will be inclusive of their software-based firewalls or if it will be incorporated into their hardware networking component lines.

Izzy's guess is that we will likely first encounter this within a future version of their Enterprise Firewall and VPN software. Maybe perhaps later see it trickle down to their Client Firewall and Norton home user products. Hopefully.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    it won't work, microsoft needs anything to help raise their stocks. they've fell like mad after halo 2

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    While advancements on security for IE are great, if IE is tied to the Windows O/S, then it will always be more vulnerable then 3rd party browsers.

Sadly, because of this, you must keep IE updated even when using 3rd party browsers.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    Sadly, because of this, you must keep IE updated even when using 3rd party browsers.
    Very good point.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I like this low rights idea. everyone i know has to run windows as admin since its impossible to use otherwise. of course there is always the run as feature but that requires knowledge of the command line to really get working.

this seems like the only reason to upgrade to longhorn as any other interesting technology is slowly being pushed back so it will not be included in longhorn.
    winfs, monad(there new command line to compete with bash) will all be left out.