Thread: how much do busboys make?

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    i just got a job as a busboy at an outrageously expensive deli/restaurant. Im getting 5.50/hr, but the manager said busboys get 10% of tips. Do you think waiters report all their tips? A large number of the purchases are with CC, so you cant really take those tips. Whats a realistic amount of money to make do you think?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    10% of Tips isn't bad..I was in the Restaurant Business for about 11 years..
    CC tips should be collected in cash at the end of the night by the Manager...
    and your right, maybe 60-70% of all tips are reported...but...
    if you do your job well & help out the Girls, you should make about $5-$7 from each Waitress or maybe a lump of $20-$25 from all each night.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    yea, ill try make friends with the waiters quick... only thing is they are all guys, but most of them are college students ( I live in manhattan ) so i dont think they are absolutely desperate for money... and might be more likely to report their tips. But am i correct to believe that they cant not report CC tips? if 100% of patrons pay with CC, i should get every penny i deserve right? Also, how does that work with the CC tips being in cash... would the manager take them out of the register or what?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Yes, the Manager should pay them from the register..cause the money is there only in CC recipts...totals wont add up right, but main total will cause money is there.
    You are the last person on the Totum Pole, they will fuck with you..Cooks are 1, Waiters 2 than you..piss them off & your screwed.
    I don't care what they tell you, they will not report 100%...and some will try not to pay you at all....thats just the way it is. If they make $200 anight, they wont give you $20, more like $5...and they will report about $125-150....Good Luck with it though...post back & tell what happens.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Invest in a CC card skimmer, you should be able to increase your level of tips a hundredfold.. (for about a week perhaps?)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion7718
    Yes, the Manager should pay them from the register..cause the money is there only in CC recipts...totals wont add up right, but main total will cause money is there.
    You are the last person on the Totum Pole, they will fuck with you..Cooks are 1, Waiters 2 than you..piss them off & your screwed.
    I don't care what they tell you, they will not report 100%...and some will try not to pay you at all....thats just the way it is. If they make $200 anight, they wont give you $20, more like $5...and they will report about $125-150....Good Luck with it though...post back & tell what happens.

thanks for the info... but its not like i actually have to deal with the waiters.. wont the manager be the middle(woman in this case).. and if they are all CC (expensive restaurant) i dont see how they could not report it.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Don't know what the deal with American restaurateur folk is but when I tip - and it's not everytime by any means - I always tip in cash, even when I'm paying with a card.

I suppose the service charge is included on the bill? They do that in France and it always pisses me off. If the food/waiter/ambiance is shite, then a tip shouldn't be given nor expected.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    10% of tips? That's an awfully high percentage for a busboy. The servers here have to give the kitchen 1.5% of tips, and it's a fine dining type (actually, we have two...a wine bar, which is a la carte, and a dining room, which is a tasting menu of 6-9 courses).

Credit card tips are reported on the cashouts. It's very easy to trace card tips. Cash is nigh untraceable.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t