Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defragmenting question

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Alrite thanks for the tip guys. I downloaded diskeeper and it seems to be working nicely. Its been about an hour and its already 65% done. I have never defraged my HD so i guess it should help. It says my computer is taking 30.2 times longer to load stuff then it should, so does this mean when its done my games should load a shite load faster?

Another question, everytime i format does that cancel out the need to defrag? or does it still need to be defraged after format?

It looks like a good program, to bad its only a 30 day trial , could anyone help me out with that?
    thanks
    Last edited by Smith; 06-19-2005 at 12:58 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    Alrite thanks for the tip guys. I downloaded diskeeper and it seems to be working nicely. Its been about an hour and its already 65% done. I have never defraged my HD so i guess it should help. It says my computer is taking 30.2 times longer to load stuff then it should, so does this mean when its done my games should load a shite load faster?

Another question, everytime i format does that cancel out the need to defrag? or does it still need to be defraged after format?

It looks like a good program, to bad its only a 30 day trial , could anyone help me out with that?
    thanks
    Well once you've installed windows, other programs, etc. the drive will become fragmented again.

But yes the drive does lose the fragmentation when it's formatted...after all, all data will be gone from it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    I have a question: When is it not good to defrag, in terms of space left?

Right now, i have about 5gb left, and i wanna defrag, but apparently it's good to have at least 15%, so i'd need at least 12gb free, and i just can't be arsed to go through and burn stuff/delete stuff

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mike45450
    I have a question: When is it not good to defrag, in terms of space left?

Right now, i have about 5gb left, and i wanna defrag, but apparently it's good to have at least 15%, so i'd need at least 12gb free, and i just can't be arsed to go through and burn stuff/delete stuff
    It wll still defragment fine.
    If you have any files with a size greater than your space lef tit wont defrag those properly

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Sometimes it stays at low percentages for a while, and then climbs. As another post said, kill the screensavers because it might be interfering, also use CTrl +Alt+Del (on Win XP) to call task manager and eliminate the most tasks you can. With 40 Gb, it usually takes me 8 hours to defrag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12