Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defragmenting question

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    How long should it take to defrag a HD that is 80gb and only has half of it used up? I know defragmenting takes time, but its been at 1% for about 3 hours. Is this normal? Should i use something besides the windows tool?

Also, should i press analyze first and then defrag from there, or just press defrag from the start?
    thanks
    Last edited by Smith; 06-18-2005 at 10:30 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    The length of time it takes has a lot of factors, how fragmented it is size of hard drive......but that seems to be a long to to defrag are you sure no other progs are working in the background? Some running programs can make changes to your hd which causes disc defrag to restart, also screen savers can can make defrag stop, download something like enditall 2 or pm for it which kills all apps running in the background and quits your screensaver or do it maunally by shutting down apps u dont need running.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Well lets put it this way, If you havent done it for a good while, Its gonna take a good while.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    The last time i did it (which was pretty much when i hadn't defragged it in ages) with my 80gb HD and about 15gb left or something it took about 6 hours. I defragged in safe mode though, as i've heard this takes less time.

As for additional software, Diskeeper is very good. It does other stuff like analyse just how fragmented the files on your HD are, gives hints to improve overall performance and other neat stuff.
    Last edited by mike45450; 06-18-2005 at 10:58 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The windows one always used to take WAYYYYY longer than it should.
    Have you tried diskeeper?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by mike45450
    The last time i did it (which was pretty much when i hadn't defragged it in ages) with my 80gb HD and about 15gb left or something it took about 6 hours. I defragged in safe mode though, as i've heard this takes less time.

As for additional software, Diskeeper is very good. It does other stuff like analyse just how fragmented the files on your HD are, gives hints to improve overall performance and other neat stuff.

Ya Mike Diskeeper pro is fast takes less than two minutes on my 60 GB . I use the set and forget feature, defrags evertime the screen saver kicks in. I don't even think about anymore unless I install a program then defrag after.

Edit : Heres a link from the verifieds , you need e-mule or a like p2p program tho.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t95156.html
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-18-2005 at 11:25 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Ive noticed that the default defrag app is horrible. Diskeeper pro is definately the way to go.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Ive noticed that the default defrag app is horrible. Diskeeper pro is definately the way to go.

Ya funny because the win xp one is by Executive Software too .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Try PerfectDisk 7.0 - it gives very good defragmentation and it works fast.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park

Ya funny because the win xp one is by Executive Software too .
    yeah but horribly out of date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast