Thread: Another nail in F1's coffin

zacspeed's Avatar Pheasant plucker
    Anyone see the US Grand Prix?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4109556.stm

Cheers FIA!

I'll give it 2 more years

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I read that Ferrari were also to blame, they decided not to approve a change to the track to improve it's safety because it was only unsafe for teams who used Michelin tyres - so it couldn't have been avoided anyway.

Altho' Michelin did say that they'd fly in different tyres for their teams - the FIA sniffily told them that it was against the rules for them to do so
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I read that Ferrari were also to blame, they decided not to approve a change to the track to improve it's safety because it was only unsafe for teams who used Michelin tyres - so it couldn't have been avoided anyway.

Altho' Michelin did say that they'd fly in different tyres for their teams - the FIA sniffily told them that it was against the rules for them to do so
    Ferrari had to get some points somehow.

/edit the crowd wasn`t happy as well throwing beer cans on the track.
    Last edited by enoughfakefiles; 06-19-2005 at 09:34 PM.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Retired
    5 Christijan Albers

I think lots of people are pissed now.. buying a ticket for +200 euro and see only 6 cars race
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 06-19-2005 at 09:49 PM.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    For a sport that is already perceived as being shit in the US, this isn't going to do it any favours... What a load of crap!

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Many people have been blaming Ferrari, but the FIA had already ruled out a track change.

There had been absolutely no practising on a modified track. If the FIA had allowed that change and someone was subsequently killed or injured the FIA would have been held responsible. That was not a position they could entertain for one second.

Charlie Whiting made it as clear as he could (the final decision was up to the stewards) that the teams would not be excluded if Michelin provided the "Barcelona" tyres, but equally implied there would be some penalty to prevent the use of "practise" tyres in the future. I imagine that would mean a drop of 10 grid positions for the next race or some similar punishment, but since that would apply to 14 cars it wouldn't be as bad as that implies.

The ITV-F1 web pages held a poll about what people thought should happen - the chicane got about 7% with the Barcelona tyres option leading with about 40% - I can't remember the other options. When they realised this was going against what their commentators were saying they pulled the poll - cowards.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    The whole thing was a complete farce.....the new tyres rule is a safety issue and quite ridiculous....and as for Bernie Ecclestone.....what a jumped up nob...his wife is clearly there for the money, she is tall and beautiful and he is short and ugly. (miaow....sorry guys...felt like having a bit of a bitch as he is spoiling F1 for his own petty purposes, nothing to do with racing)

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the chicane wouldn't have gone down well with american audiences anyway. what with their fear of corners and all
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 06-20-2005 at 12:25 PM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Bah. F1 has been dying slowly since the day Senna hit that wall in San Marino.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    Bah. F1 has been dying slowly since the day Senna hit that wall in San Marino.
    When asked if it was a bad time for F1, Schumacker said 1994 was what he would describe as a bad time.

Even so, we are still going to blame the French tyre makers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast