Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Never mind the irony, just discuss...

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibonbon
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Look at the USA compared to the UK with healthcare. The USA tends to think it's better to have private health insurance where we are all responsible for ourselves...
    Yup, I like being able to chose my own doctor. I also like being able to switch doctors if I feel my doctor isn't doing his darnedest to keep me at my best.

I also like not have to be put on a waiting list for the simplest things.

If I wanted the "common good" thing, I could just pretend I am in the UK and go to the free clinic like all the junkies, drunks, and women who can not keep their legs closed to prevent children from falling out.
    D.D.D.Damn!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Look at the USA compared to the UK with healthcare. The USA tends to think it's better to have private health insurance where we are all responsible for ourselves...
    Yup, I like being able to chose my own doctor. I also like being able to switch doctors if I feel my doctor isn't doing his darnedest to keep me at my best.

If I wanted the "common good" thing, I could just pretend I am in the UK and go to the free clinic like all the junkies, drunks, and women who can not keep their legs closed to prevent children from falling out.

I can choose my own Dr.

I can switch Dr's whenever I want, knowing that my Dr is not making a profit from keeping me sick.

I can choose to wait, or pay for the complicated stuff whilst the simple is done immediately.

Damn, im glad i live in the UK

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Try switching doctors when you are retired through ill health and you cant keep up the private health insurance payments. Or you have reached the 'limit' of your entitlement.
    My brother-in-law who has worked most of his life had to stop work through illness. Not entitled to a pension till he was 60. could not keep up the health insurance payments. Now he is downsizing his house and lifestyle in order to make ends meet. Fantastic system.

Give me the UK anyday.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Try switching doctors when you are retired through ill health and you cant keep up the private health insurance payments. Or you have reached the 'limit' of your entitlement.
    My brother-in-law who has worked most of his life had to stop work through illness. Not entitled to a pension till he was 60. could not keep up the health insurance payments. Now he is downsizing his house and lifestyle in order to make ends meet. Fantastic system.

Give me the UK anyday.
    One can only blame him/herself if they are put in this situation.

Daycares are for children, not adults.

Perhaps he would have been better served cutting back on the high life at a younger age to insure a better future.

Let me just say this is for those who have led an able bodied life. Obviously there are those who cannot take care of themselves due to mental issues, diseases, and whatnot.
    Last edited by Tikibonbon; 06-21-2005 at 09:26 PM.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Let me just say this is for those who have led an able bodied life. Obviously there are those who cannot take care of themselves due to mental issues, diseases, and whatnot.
    How exactly are they dealt with under your great scheme?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    And what "scheme" was I speaking of? Last I recall personal accountablity is not a "scheme".

There are currently plenty of institutions available to assist those who cannot help themselves.

It's not like we send them to the gas chambers and ovens for being disabled.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37

And what "scheme" was I speaking of? Last I recall personal accountablity is not a "scheme".

There are currently plenty of institutions available to assist those who cannot help themselves.

It's not like we send them to the gas chambers and ovens for being disabled.
    I meant scheme as in health plan. Scheme has many meanings.
    Last edited by bigboab; 06-21-2005 at 10:50 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I went to the doctors today, I made the appointment at 9.30 and was seen at 11.00. I was given a prescription that I filled at the attached (brand new) pharmacy far cheaper than the commercial price of the drugs.

I then took myself and daughter to the dentist, she had preventative treatment to assist long term dental health...free. I had a filling on a broken tooth and a polish... also much cheaper than paying privately.

I have paid into the system all my working life, and had periods of time when I have not had to pay. My children never have to pay for any treatment whatsoever until they are 18.

The quality of care that I have received has been of first class standard......

However,

I lived with my children in Boston MA for a year and was fortunate to have the full Blue Cross Medicare at a vastly subsidised cost, still costing $100 per month on a salary of $17k pa (try finding a 2 bed apartment in the Boston area for less than $2k per month!!!)

We still had to pay $10 per doctors visit, pay for all drugs, and wait on one occasion for 4 days before seeing a doctor with my sick child.

I know which I think is better at the sharp end

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    I went to the doctors today, I made the appointment at 9.30 and was seen at 11.00. I was given a prescription that I filled at the attached (brand new) pharmacy far cheaper than the commercial price of the drugs.

I then took myself and daughter to the dentist, she had preventative treatment to assist long term dental health...free. I had a filling on a broken tooth and a polish... also much cheaper than paying privately.

I have paid into the system all my working life, and had periods of time when I have not had to pay. My children never have to pay for any treatment whatsoever until they are 18.

The quality of care that I have received has been of first class standard......

However,

I lived with my children in Boston MA for a year and was fortunate to have the full Blue Cross Medicare at a vastly subsidised cost, still costing $100 per month on a salary of $17k pa (try finding a 2 bed apartment in the Boston area for less than $2k per month!!!)

We still had to pay $10 per doctors visit, pay for all drugs, and wait on one occasion for 4 days before seeing a doctor with my sick child.

I know which I think is better at the sharp end
    Yes I know what you mean.
    If private health was a good method why doesn't the Government pay these firms for a policy for everybody. I'll tell you why, Because these firms only want healthy people.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    That's because your tax money pays for it. They will also pay for it anytime they buy something.

I love this "we have free health care" chants everyone talks about, but they never mention the huge amount of taxes they have to pay to get it.

Take gas for example, prices hit $2 per gallon, we bitch. But alot of these people bitching don't realize in some countries others routinely pay a LOT more. I believe in the UK it is around 5 to 6 pounds per gallon, may be wrong, just what I seem to remember. But what is funny this $2 is only like 1 pound, yet the UK pays the same amount per gallon as the US does from the source. Why the price difference? Oh, yeah, so you can have this so called prepaid "free" health service.

For what you pay in tax, I would expect the government to clean my drapes on a daily basis. :-P

BTW, wasn't meaning in any way that one system was better than any other, just personal views on personal responsiblities and not depending on outsiders (such as the government) to take care of me. I apologize if it seemed so.
    Last edited by Tikibonbon; 06-21-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast