Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Router Should I get

Poster
    Im thinking bout getting a router for my pc and was wondering any favorites you guys have , and also which is the way to go wire or wireless?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    you don't need a router

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well if hes planning on using multiple computers on his connection then he does.
    Ive had a DLink for a long time and Im content with it and their support also...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Linksys.

And if you have a choice then do it wired.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I have a linksys, and I would never buy another one. They have no support anymore it seems, and they only care about corporate cisco users. My router (befsx41) needs rebooted constantly. I know several others who also have issues with linksys, especially with their VOIP routers. I have VOIP, but I have a centillium router, and it works perfectly, but it is DMZ'd off of a linksys, so I loose my phone alot. Netgear is what I will buy once I find a hammer to smash my linksys. I also run a torrent tracker, and it bitches that up alot. Linksys has its good features, but the bad ones outweigh them IMO. If you are going to get a linksys, I would recommend the WRT54GS or WRT 54G wireless, as several private individuals have made good advances in third party firmware for that model (again, linksys is useless in the upgrade/maintenance department). These are just my thoughts/experiences.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    For Mïcrösöül°V³:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=20&grid=5

should be able to find it for 20.00 or so US

edit:

if you want to go wireless spend 40 & get one of these
    http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/474342/
    Last edited by muchspl3; 06-22-2005 at 11:59 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    I have a linksys, and I would never buy another one. They have no support anymore it seems, and they only care about corporate cisco users. My router (befsx41) needs rebooted constantly. I know several others who also have issues with linksys, especially with their VOIP routers. I have VOIP, but I have a centillium router, and it works perfectly, but it is DMZ'd off of a linksys, so I loose my phone alot. Netgear is what I will buy once I find a hammer to smash my linksys. I also run a torrent tracker, and it bitches that up alot. Linksys has its good features, but the bad ones outweigh them IMO. If you are going to get a linksys, I would recommend the WRT54GS or WRT 54G wireless, as several private individuals have made good advances in third party firmware for that model (again, linksys is useless in the upgrade/maintenance department). These are just my thoughts/experiences.

you're crazy I bought a befsr41 over 3 years ago and it died just this year, I called and they rma'ed for me all I did was send it to them and they sent me a new one

as for your other problems sounds like user error but thats just venturing a guess...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    eh im having problems with the computer with the router i got a linksys wireless B, after a few days i gotta reboot it or the internet lags like crazy =/ sucks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face

you're crazy I bought a befsr41 over 3 years ago and it died just this year, I called and they rma'ed for me all I did was send it to them and they sent me a new one

as for your other problems sounds like user error but thats just venturing a guess...
    The problem only seem to affect the newer linksys routers. I have friends with older ones, and they work fine. Its a firmware issue, but linksys doesnt do any upgrading to correct customer problems. They havent released a fix or new firmware for my router since early 2004. I was able to get my router somewhat stable using a beta firmware, this is the reason I recommended the WRT54g series, because a few aftermarket small companies make firmware for it that is supposedly pretty rock solid stuff.

@VB Now THATS a hammer that has linksys written on it!
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 06-23-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast