Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stealth

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Busy, seriously, stop pretending you don't get it.

2. Movies & TV   -   #42
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I demonstrated when I said that movie makers portrayed Americans as being the ones who captured the Enigma cypher, when they weren't.

What a glorious occasion, capturing a device which enabled the decryption of all nazi communications.

That's glorifying Americans. Do you see how it works now.
    It's piece of shit inaccurate storytelling.

Wait you are right. If the British were accurately depicted capturing the device, they would have been glorified since they were the heroes. Then it'd be a British glorication movie.
    Well, duh.

You asked what an American ego film was - so I explained that it was a film that appealed to the average American's sense of national pride.

You asked how they did that, so I said they glorify American heros, steal other countries heros or make them up.

Now you're asking if it's the same for other countries --- YES!!

Is this the ask stupid questions thread or what.

If a film portrays British soldiers in a good light, doing something glorious - then it appealing to the British sense of national pride, it's a British ego movie.

Holy Chebus. Just how obvious are the answers to the questions that you're asking.

Since this is a genre of movies (American glorification), can anyone name some more?

I might feel like going to Iraq to get shot or somethin'.

Maybe Hollywood should stop making black glorification movies..portraying black people in a good light, spurring them to feel proud of where they came from.
    Why? There's nothing bad in it - unless it's done inaccurately. Covering an actual hero in glory using the medium of film is great. I've no problems whatsoever, I don't even mind a bit of creative licence. Even making heros up is fine; superheros, for example. Great entertainment.

Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Movies & TV   -   #43
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    manker, sometimes there's another thing, which I reckon is what really would annoy some people:

When they do everything you say, and at the same time manage to portray the rest of the world as a bunch of helpless lamers or something.

I don't care about so much about americans being portrayed as supermen, if it's that stupid I just won't watch it, but when they make the rest of the world look like a bunch of helpless losers in need of saving, it can be a bit annoying.

Like in ID4 for instance.

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-05-2005 at 09:57 AM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #44
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    manker, sometimes there's another thing, which I reckon is what really would annoy some people:

When they do everything you say, and at the same time manage to portray the rest of the world as a bunch of helpless lamers or something.

I don't care about so much about americans being portrayed as supermen, if it's that stupid I just won't watch it, but when they make the rest of the world look like a bunch of helpless losers in need of saving, it can be a bit annoying.

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.
    Sure, I guess that adds up to being an American ego movie too.

I've never watched Independence Day or ID4 - tbh, I've never watched a film that does that but I'm sure they exist.

I really don't watch that many films
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Movies & TV   -   #45
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Maybe Hollywood should stop making black glorification movies..portraying black people in a good light, spurring them to feel proud of where they came from.
    Why? There's nothing bad in it - unless it's done inaccurately. Covering an actual hero in glory using the medium of film is great. I've no problems whatsoever, I don't even mind a bit of creative licence. Even making heros up is fine; superheros, for example. Great entertainment.
    Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.[/QUOTE]
    Really?

If you haven't noticed smartguyansweringquestions, people from other countries seem to have a problem with it.

Point is fuck off then.

They seem to have a problem when an American is portrayed as a superhero and their country didn't find way kill an alien or some shit.

So well duh doesn't cut it seeing that we don't look at a movie protraying their conutrymen in a somewhat good light as a insertcountryhere glorification movie...an actual genre.

Chebus, are you that stupid or what?
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-05-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Movies & TV   -   #46
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

@manker- Case in point above

Since you haven't seen ID4 mank....America happens to figure out how to destry the ships and relays the information to the other countries.

A fella commits suicide by ramming the ship in vulnerable spot...oh and we upload a Windows virus into an alien computer.

So 'cause we so-called, figured it out, BAMMMM, American ego movie...

Oh wait while we're fighting the President says something about God and country to rally the troops....not really necessary fighting a war. I think I heard a peptalk in National Lampoon's Van Wilder too.

That makes a whole genre and shit.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-05-2005 at 10:47 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Movies & TV   -   #47
    manker's Avatar effendi

Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.
    Really?

If you haven't noticed smartguyansweringquestions, people from other countries seem to have a problem with it.

Point is fuck off then.

They seem to have a problem when an American is portrayed as a superhero and their country didn't find way kill an alien or some shit.

So well duh doesn't cut it seeing that we don't look at a movie protraying their conutrymen in a somewhat good light as a insertcountryhere glorification movie...an actual genre.

Chebus, are you that stupid or what?
    Do me a favour, arse.

Just answer me with respect to what I post. I can't be held accountable for what others think.

I already said I don't have a problem with American ego movies unless they're stealing heros from other countries.

I answered your dumbass questions with answers even a child could comprehend.

Am I mistaken when I presume that you understand them.

8. Movies & TV   -   #48
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I found ID4 to be jingoistic but that was not the film's only problem, it required a large dose of suspended disbelief for it to make sense, Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith suck. The special effects were crappy and overused as well imo.

Would have been funny if the French had saved the world (and America) at the end.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 08-05-2005 at 11:42 AM.

9. Movies & TV   -   #49
    manker's Avatar effendi

Sure, I guess that adds up to being an American ego movie too.

I've never watched Independence Day or ID4 - tbh, I've never watched a film that does that but I'm sure they exist.

I really don't watch that many films
    Teh fook, I've just imdb'd it.

ID4 = Independence day.

Fecking elitist bar-stewards, stop trying to confuse me

10. Movies & TV   -   #50
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Would have been funny if the French had saved the world (and America) at the end.
    Look, we all know ID4 is (bad) sci-fi, but that is just crazy-talk.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast