Thread: Problems accessing other hard drive.???

enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    I keep most of my music and films on my alternative hard drive. It`s adigital wetern 120Gb with a 2 Mb cache. When i click on a file to play the music it locks my computer up for a maybe ten to twenty seconds and then it comes too.

Its not that old as well. My primary hard drive is also a western digital 120Gb with an 8Mb cache. I did`nt have this problem at first but these past couple of weeks it`s been doing my head in more and more. I`ve done a repair in stall of windows XP uninstalled serverpack 2 and re-installed it but it hasn`t made any difference. Come to think of it when i`ve accessed other things on that drive it locks up and says not respondind and the error report it wants to send to microsoft says it`s a explorer error.

Help me obe 1 your my only hope.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    /hardware world

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    /hardware world
    I thought hardwareworld was just for price wars.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    Could be spyware or a virus. Run your anti-sypware and anti-virus programs and get back to us.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughfakefiles
    I keep most of my music and films on my alternative hard drive. It`s adigital wetern 120Gb with a 2 Mb cache. When i click on a file to play the music it locks my computer up for a maybe ten to twenty seconds and then it comes too.

Its not that old as well. My primary hard drive is also a western digital 120Gb with an 8Mb cache. I did`nt have this problem at first but these past couple of weeks it`s been doing my head in more and more. I`ve done a repair in stall of windows XP uninstalled serverpack 2 and re-installed it but it hasn`t made any difference. Come to think of it when i`ve accessed other things on that drive it locks up and says not respondind and the error report it wants to send to microsoft says it`s a explorer error.

Help me obe 1 your my only hope.
    What are your system specs?

I've got a P3 with a secondary 120gb h/d, if I open anything on the 2nd h/d it's slower than the master, might be the way memory is allocated but mine is not as slow as yours.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Could it be shutting down due to power saving, and is taking a little longer to power back up? If so you could be getting error notifications, check with Event Viewer.

Alternatively, it could be something to do with "virtual" drives, such as Nero ImageDrive, Alcohols virtual drive, or Daemon Tools drives. Try uninstalling them if you've got any installed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.