Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD burner suggestions

muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    *EDIT 2* also, how about blank DVD's to use in the burner. There is seemingly hundreds of choices (brands, speeds, etc). Which brand of media plays the best in most (if not all) household DVD players?
    I have never had a problem with media with my nec, I always get the cheapest I can find.
    r+ or r- doean't matter either although if your stand alone player might prefer one over the other

mine only burns at 8x and takes about 15 minuets, 4x takes about a half hour so I assume 16x would be 6~7 minutes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    16x media is quite rare. As is Dual Layer which is quite expensive. There are tools like DVD Shrink to fit movies onto 4.7 GB media so you can avoid the expensive Dual Layer media.

The NEC is probably your best choice unless you absolutely need SATA.

-R is the most common with +R close behind.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Thanks everyone for the info. I only mentioned SATA because my mobo has it built in and wasnt sure if there was any reason to use it (I do use 1 slot for a SATA HDD that I have) I will give the NEC a go, and just use IDE, as the SATA drives are over or close to $100, and this drive is pretty cheap. I have no problem spending $100 bucks for it, but if this will do basically the same thing, well.........duh.

@VB, newegg has quite a selection of 16X media, although its a little bit pricey, but not unbearable. (ie: 50 cds for about $38 or so-ish) Thanks for the help, as always, you guys are great.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    go for the pioneer 106 or 109

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by motov600
    go for the pioneer 106 or 109
    Hello moto. Where have you been for the last 12 months? The 106 has been out of production at least that long.

109? Good choice, but slower and more expensive than the NEC.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    hello lynx

i have the 106 and the 109
    the reason i prefer the 106 is because it allows me to burn at speeds 1x and 2x
    with the 109 the lowest speed is 4x
    the nec looks and sounds good however what is its compatiblity like with dvd-r media?
    i have always found the pioneer dvd writers to be very reliable although come to think of it i havent tried any other brand writers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    the NEC has great compatability for me. I have yet to find a DVD-R or DVD+R that doesn't work with it.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Oops, missed your reply moto.

Same here, I've only had one coaster from my NEC, and that was a visibly faulty disk. Actually, I can't comment on DVD+R, I've never bought one.

Mine's the 3500, and with tweaked firmware I can burn some 8x disks at 16x without any problems too. Don't want to do too many in quick succession though, they get a little warm.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I will be ordering the NEC tomorrow.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast