Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    RF are you sure it was The Scotsman and not The Sun? They had the same map and similar story too
    Wouldnt know what the Sun says, im too old for Comics

I saw the report on Channel 4 News and looked for a copy of the map, The Scotsman was the 1st one i saw.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Im confused now..

Even the US Government has admitted theres a problem with Global Warming..

As to eugenics, although what it was used for (ie: calling different races inferior and later attempts to create a super race (allegedly)) is appalling, its underlining science remains.. ie: Genetics

Are you calling Genetics a false science?

Any Dog or Cat breeder, or Botanist can tell you that you can develop things through Breeding for specifics, so the question is a moral one not a scientific one.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Science is often the pole used to leap the gap of credibility and/or ignorance between some observable circumstance and a desired/feared result.

When certain aggressive misapplications of science occur, we end up with nightmares like the Kyoto Protocols.

It's a dynamic similar to that of your nascent (and abortive) European Union, which is dying the death that Kyoto deserves.
    Could you run that by me one more time?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Science is often the pole used to leap the gap of credibility and/or ignorance between some observable circumstance and a desired/feared result.

When certain aggressive misapplications of science occur, we end up with nightmares like the Kyoto Protocols.

It's a dynamic similar to that of your nascent (and abortive) European Union, which is dying the death that Kyoto deserves.
    i hope you mean science as in the word "science" like when they use "science" as a handle to sell us things we don't need like sunglasses and shampoo.

or are you one of those bible literalists who fear science?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Eugenics, global warming, terrorism.

All peas from the same pod. I agree with j2 - these are all public concerns, with varying degrees of validity, manipulated by politicians for their own ends. There are distinct similarities.

There is concern about pollution but the map at the start of the thread was chosen carefully - not for scientific validity, not to depict what's going to happen - but to grab the attention and veneer the truth, which is that there is a less than 1 in twenty chance of even a 7 metre oceanic rise in the next two centuries, let alone an 84 metre rise.

I'm not necessarily talking about RF; more The Sun, Ch4 News and The Scotsman.

OMG! Vote Bush or we'll be targeted by terrorists.
    OMG! Support eugenics or the human race will become feeble minded.
    OMG! Stop pollution or your home will be under water.

That there is what I can't stomach, the political spin on scientific facts. Please, if you're going to present a concern; do it with a degree of impartiality, rather than use sensationalist attention grabbing drivel.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    European Union was never alive.. the politicians just didnt realise that they wanted something the public did not. (Or did, but didnt care)

However, im sure that countries can leave the European Union without the rest of them invading said states... unlike some.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i don't see how this can be such a foofaraw. sure everyone knows terrorism is a joke, but who gets any monetery benefits from saving the envoirenment?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i don't see how this can be such a foofaraw. sure everyone knows terrorism is a joke, but who gets any monetery benefits from saving the envoirenment?
    The people who sell environment-saving equipment. The only reason it hasn't caught on yet is because the oil companies haven't quite worked out which country to invade in order to get in on the act.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    i read in the paper today that pollution is actully helping us from being burned up
    the pollution particals in the air are weakening the suns rays

here is an artical i found online
    http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=717532005

so stopping pollution is only gonna make us hotter :S

OPPS
    already mentioned in this topic
    Last edited by Money Fist; 06-30-2005 at 10:46 AM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    You get grants to install micro-generation in this country eg: £1000 for every KW a wind powered generator can output at 12m/s windspeed, upto a max of £5000.

As they start at £950 to buy (plus installation), and you also get an ongoing £60 per KW cheque off the government.. they pay for themselves very quickly..

1KW is about 33% of an average household electricity usage in the UK, so you'd also save around 1/3 of your electricity bill...

ie: There is money to be made out of it

J2K4, you are under the same misapprehension the Governments are... that the European peoples wish to be united as one nation.

We dont.

We dont need, or want, a constitution.

The "Constitution" as proposed, was nothing more than the joining together of a lot of existing treaties, there was not one new thing in there except... not all countries have signed up to all Treaties. Each has their own veto, which has been used by various Governments in the past.

The "Constitution" would have implemented all treaties on all countries if ratified.

I am not saying this is a good or a bad thing.. there are certainly some that I think the UK should have signed up for and vetoed, and others that I think we should have vetoed and did (also some i think we should have vetoed and didnt )

However, the "No" votes were not "No" votes on the "Constitution".. in both cases the analysis has shown that the vote was no simply because an unpopular Government wanted a "Yes" vote, so they voted the other way.

I believe the UK would have done the same thing, and so think the UK Government chicken for not having our referendum...but it makes no difference, just means carry on as before. No new rights or changes to existing legislation.

Or, if your talking about the EU budget.. well, that only covers stuff the Politicians are interested in anyway. It in no way affects our own free trade or free access to EU countries.. ie: the stuff most business and the populations are interested in.

The only reason its in the news at all is Chirac suddenly calling for a freeze to the UK rebate (£3 Billion), in order to deflect the French from his own defeat. The UK has responded by taking the advantage in saying they wish to scrap or modernise the Common Agracultural Policy, which pays French farmers a lot more than £3 Billion.

This is just politics, nothing will happen to either and things will go on as before here too.. Its just politicians trying to make the public forget about the "Constitution", so they can bring the whole thing in anyway through the back door.

Sorry to disappoint J2... no change in the EU at all... same shit, different day.

And more and more people wanting to join it... not bad for something that isnt working huh?
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 06-30-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast